Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting. that is one way... no doubt stronger. may be a Level 3 DIY! ;)

[net ref]

Ferro-Nickel Rods are cheaper than pure Nickel and are ideal for welding Cast Iron to Steel. Pure Nickel will produce a softer, more malleable weld deposit.
Sorry I Run a repair and fabrication shop, so for me its a little different. I have welded on cast iron on more than one occasion. Of note is including one 427 ford low riser that is still sitting in its original special order body here in Japan. the owner had a radiator hose blow on the expressway while messing with the brain housing units of some young Japanese runners. yes he won between Tokyo rainbow and Yokohama bay bridge, but he blew a radiator hose and actually put a stress crack in the block between pistons #6 & #7. I was notified by several car friends as I have welded many "interesting projects" over the years and am somewhat a known entity in the US car scene here (primarily as an ******* but I digress). I welded the block (and machined the outside of the block to hide it. Then was asked to hold it close to chest as it lowers the value. Hint it is one of the several 427 Shelby Cobras replicas that run about the island. (PS I touched it with my noodely appendage so it should raise the value dammit!.) anyway welding cast is not a big deal if you are willing to invest the time to do it right, its just that the amount of time compared to the value is only occasionally of similar value.

Don't know if you guys saw this. https://fox17.com/news/local/feast-...-iron-skillet-weighing-14000-lbs-in-tennessee
1642325844273.png

hey Philber did you clean up that pan, and try it yet?
I have used it several times now, and it’s a problem.

I had acquired a number of cast iron pieces this year, mostly new or used Lodge cookware. I decided that the rough surfaces were ‘not that bad’.

Now that I have used this pan, I will have to pull out the disc sander, strip, and resurface all those other pieces.

Come Spring.

See? It’s caused a problem.

Philbert

i underdstand completely. i have thought about it alot and when they were made they must have had large discs that were the same size as the pans so they could grind them down fast for production.. i wish i had something like that for cleaning and restoring

34520AC6-33DF-4753-93F1-AF96764763B7.jpeg

Not cast iron, but a nice, 3-layer, (a.k.a. ‘clad’) saute pan I scored at the Goodwill this week. It did not look like this at the time, but after a few minutes with my friend (OK, the Bar Keeper’s Friend), it polished up nicely. I have really come to like BKF for stainless.

Philbert

there isnt anything better than bar keepers friend for stainless thats a nice pan. i got an enamal coated pan for christmas

2DF77951-9C47-4E84-BB3A-882DC6A8385D.jpeg

Another ‘not cast iron’ acquisition: inexpensive ($10), carbon steel wok. A class instructor recommended these for basic wok street food style cooking. But my home gas range did not not have the BTUs needed to burn off the factory coating and season it, like he did on a commercial stove. So, I borrowed a page from the cast iron play book and did it in my oven at 500°F. It also helped to pre-heat it for the high temps needed for this type of cooking.

(Pre-seasoned condition in photo).

Philbert

I also a cast iron fan. I have couple old grizwald pans of my grandfathers I use quite often. I also use my Dutch ovens a lot too. Only reason I use my fire place is to cook with the Dutch ovens. The wife and kids have been on a peach cobbler kick lately last week I made venison stew and apple crisp. This week was chicken and dumplings and peach cobbler
ima make a cobbler in my griz dutch oven this week. glad i looked at this cast iron page. thanks

Back