Cautious in my old age.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’ve got some logs down that need to be cut up. It is so dry here I am waiting for a bit of rain before I go after it. When I was younger I was more willing to take a chance but now that I’m older I will just wait on nature to remove the danger of starting a fire.
I have actually cut in the past where the muffler exhaust started a small fire on the moss that is found on most of the trees around here.
Sure looking forward to running a saw again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut back on saw work during peak fire season. I would not want to be "that guy" who sets the woods on fire. When I have to do some I bring a 5 gallon firefighting backpack sprayer and fire tools, and try to do the work in the morning when its cool and there's less wind to push a fire.

My dad use to say ya gotta make hay while the sun shines...

...but I see your point with all the wild fires currently raging.

We don't worry about that too much here in the midwest. We get lots of rain and high humidity. So high I wonder if the humidity itself would put out a fire! Ugh!!

Being from Montana though, I certainly know what you're talking about. Fires are pretty bad out there this year. You can't be too careful.

But if you're in Australia - goodness! Trains has been telling me about how super careful they have to be out there.

I have noticed when cutting till it gets dark that I get more sparks coming from the bar rail more then coming from the muffler. No real fire danger at my wood lot so we just keep on cutting year round.

I'm working clearing out a hundred years of dead fall from a a 1/4 mile willow grove. It is about 100' wide. Deadfall and associated debri is so thick on cannot walk between trees. The duff is 4-8" deep and powder dry. Fire danger? For sure!!!. I have taken to cutting a couple pieces of small logs about two feet long and moving them around to set the saw on when I stop cutting to pile the crap,. Saws are all pro quality Stihl with spark screens but it still worries me.

We did get a couple real good showers last night finally after the long, long drought. Probably didn't help the dry conditions tho, the canopy is so dense I doubt any got through to the ground.

Back