Ceramic fiberboard question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cleaned the chimney, replaced the stove pipe, and was vaccuming out the inside when i noticed one of the ceramic fiber panels was broke. Before i call the local fireplace store i was wondering if the stuff on amazon is any good and if you can and how to cut the fiber board? Also i have 2 panels can i replace it with a single panel or are they separate for expansion reasons?

I believe the 2 panels are made that way for ease of removal when you do flue cleaning.

In both my basement freestanding stove and main level fireplace insert the panels have broken (they're easy to break). But the broken parts match well so I just keep them in place. As long as they continue to do their job (baffle) of forcing air and smoke to travel correctly, I see no need to replace them. In their broken condition they are even easier to remove and replace, so I no longer have to remove any of the metal tubes when doing flue cleaning.

I know you can buy suitable replacement material, but whether Amazon's stuff is good I don't know. I expect all you need is something that will stay in place.

I believe the 2 panels are made that way for ease of removal when you do flue cleaning.

In both my basement freestanding stove and main level fireplace insert the panels have broken (they're easy to break). But the broken parts match well so I just keep them in place. As long as they continue to do their job (baffle) of forcing air and smoke to travel correctly, I see no need to replace them. In their broken condition they are even easier to remove and replace, so I no longer have to remove any of the metal tubes when doing flue cleaning.

I know you can buy suitable replacement material, but whether Amazon's stuff is good I don't know. I expect all you need is something that will stay in place.

They were on the replace list since they are deterring. The pieces fit together but the one piece only sits on 1 tube and is kind of thin.
20210905_161710.jpg

If you can put it back in position and it stays in place, tight to its mate, I would go with what you've got. If not, replace the works.

The two-piece system I've seen does not have 90-degree mating surfaces, as that could allow heat/air/smoke to pass between.

If you can put it back in position and it stays in place, tight to its mate, I would go with what you've got. If not, replace the works.

The two-piece system I've seen does not have 90-degree mating surfaces, as that could allow heat/air/smoke to pass between.
Yeah my 2 boards have a giant gap between which is y i ask about making it 1 piece. This is the first time i have removed them. I clean the chimney with a clean out tee and sweep it from the roof. I also wondered about a thicker board and if that would have any benefit.

So my new fiber board arrived today and it looks decent and was packaged very well. I figured out why its 2 pieces and not 1. The door opening was not big enough to fit 1 piece. I fit it much tighter than the original so that should be better i hope. When i called the local fireplace store they told me to order it online. So i should be ready for winter.

Yeah my 2 boards have a giant gap between which is y i ask about making it 1 piece. This is the first time i have removed them. I clean the chimney with a clean out tee and sweep it from the roof. I also wondered about a thicker board and if that would have any benefit.
FYI, if you still have that old one laying around, you can carefully glue it back together with furnace cement, it works very well...might be worth keeping around as a spare.

So first night with a fire and these tighter boards seem to give me a lot more secondary burn when it coals down without adjusting the air intake. Coals and secondary burn like i used to be able to get when i closed all the air off. Its still making tons of heat unlike before in this stage of wood burning.

Back