Chain came off twice, now safe to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, recently bought a chain/bar comboi for my little Shinny 352s.

Was a 14 inch combo Sugi Hara bar and Tri Link chain for $70. Tri Link must be a chinese chain I'm guessing.

Anyway I keep my chains sharp, clean and at the right tension, so surprised when it came off. Had to file up a few drive links to get it to sit and run nice in the bar again. was just limbing, so wood only 4-5 inches in diameter.

Yesterday it cam off again, and again I had to file a few scars off a few drive links. Noticed that two of the drive links had minor chipping at the lowest point. So my question is, is it safe to use this chain while my new Oregon chain is being shipped? I don't want to damage my self, OR my saw. I'm a little concerned the drive links have chipped, always use proper bar oil (stihl in this instance) and don't work my saws too hard. I'm picking ts a prime candidate for coming off yet again?

I'm also wondering if this chain is that crappy that the drive links are just chipping off by themselves? Spur sprocket is about half worn.

Cheers all

A pic of the spur sprocket may be good. If there is a deep groove in it, it could be varying the tension and causing the problem.

You should check your new chain every cut or two to make sure you readjust for stretching. As mentioned above, a worn groove in the sprocket can add to the problem.

Hi guys, took bar and chain into my saw shop, the rear of the bar was slightly narrow right in front of the spur sprocket...the chain was "riding up" a little on the bar so he sorted that. Got a new Oregon chain while I was there, the Tri Link can be for a spare only. Spur sprocket good, and everything lining up as it should too. Cheers all

Latest posts

Back