Chain for Australian hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

KASH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading this thread.
If I have a tree that is dirty on one side I try to put the dirty side up and cut from the bottom up that way your chain throws the dirt away from the saw instead of pulling it into the saw.It still will dull if it is really dirty but most often the dirty section is at the base only for a cut or two.
Kash

davidwyby

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
395 is an animal….gotta get the chain juuuust right for euc. Gotta the perfect grab in the sharpening process and feed pressure. You either get no bite or too much. Now I know why the aussies always look like tweakers jerkin the saw aroundSharpening every 2-3 cuts. I tried 24” square this morning on the 2166. So smooth it doesn’t feel like it’s cutting. I thought about maybe taking the rakers down and getting some more bite…but I tried it in some Aleppo pine first and it had Plenty of bite in that. You will hear the 395 screaming and 4 stroking. Probably a little fat from the fuel change and also it’s work to keep up with it and keep the feed pressure right to keep the rpm right.

I think it’s easier to Stand Up and Buck with the 3120, 42” heavy bar and .404” and just let it eat vs. working the saw.

davidwyby

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed reading this thread.
If I have a tree that is dirty on one side I try to put the dirty side up and cut from the bottom up that way your chain throws the dirt away from the saw instead of pulling it into the saw.It still will dull if it is really dirty but most often the dirty section is at the base only for a cut or two.
Kash
My stuff has been sitting out in the desert for 20 years, bark is long gone and dirt is in the cracks. Best I can do is pressure wash it out.

sure is beautiful wood, would like to make something from it.
I just remembered there’s a large blowdown outside town, I should see if I can have it and try some green.

joe.snow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I've been cutting lots of green eucalyptus the past 2.5 weeks and I've come to the conclusion that my .325 chain will cut the fastest if i use a combination of hand filing(3/16 file) and the 2 in 1. I start with the hand file to remove a little gullet, but the hand file wont completely hit the cutter if the gullet is removed. So i go over it again with the 2 in 1 for a few strokes, which hits the cutter but not the gullet.

Fraser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I only cut firewood for personal use which is old and sitting on the ground. The timber is hard use 30" bar with skip semi chisel and it works well. Usually can cut a load without touching up the chain ( 1.5 tanks) . Logs are 20 to 40" in diameter and covered in dirt and sometimes black from fires.

Attachments

• 20220925_112610[1].jpg
    20220925_112610[1].jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I often tell Australian boys that I know much more about cutting Euc then they do and of course they say what they want. However California has the widest array of hardwoods and Euc that will rival any place in the world. I have cut Euc in several central to Northern Cal places with several in between. There is not any thing that compares to dried Euc in our desert communities with twenty plus years of blowing sand in the heat of the summer. It takes plenty of sharpening and patience to fill up a truck. Because Euc is so plentiful and does not decay it is often a very cheap alternative to Live Oak. I would have to say it burns fine even though you can not cook with it. Thanks
You say California has more hardwood then the rest of the world come on over to the Carolinian woodlands nothing comparable to Aussie Euc but plenty of species/sub species of a variety of hardwoods. All I ever see from that coast is dug fir.

Reaction score
Well I've been cutting lots of green eucalyptus the past 2.5 weeks and I've come to the conclusion that my .325 chain will cut the fastest if i use a combination of hand filing(3/16 file) and the 2 in 1. I start with the hand file to remove a little gullet, but the hand file wont completely hit the cutter if the gullet is removed. So i go over it again with the 2 in 1 for a few strokes, which hits the cutter but not the gullet.
cutting green euc is like cutting balsa wood.
:)
I let it dry off a bit if I can, so the leaf colour turns brown, less sap to gum up the chain, but still soft to cut.
Let it dry off for a year or so, and low rainfall growth is like iron.