Chain Issue Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I noticed my chain sagging more than normal today. Before adjusting it I gave a yank, moving it about 4" and no more sag. Yanked a few more times and no sag. Continuing on I assume I got back to the starting point and the sag is back. Taking the chain off I found a number of connecting links with only a little movement before starting to bind in movement either way relative to the rivit. The mystery to me is that it is always the leading edge rivit of each of the links and none of the rivits on the opposite end of any of the links. It might be 6 to 10 consecutive links.

I had gotten the bar pinched in a cut yesterday when the branch moved and grabbed it. I"m not sure if that could have done it but I don't understand why it would not have bound up both rivits in any of the links.

The bar appears to be oiling properly and has wet saw dust on the chain and the bar near the groove.

I swapped out the chain and the new one looks to be sitting properly throughout it's travel.

Any ideas on what is going on?

I noticed my chain sagging more than normal today. Before adjusting it I gave a yank, moving it about 4" and no more sag. Yanked a few more times and no sag. Continuing on I assume I got back to the starting point and the sag is back. Taking the chain off I found a number of connecting links with only a little movement before starting to bind in movement either way relative to the rivit. The mystery to me is that it is always the leading edge rivit of each of the links and none of the rivits on the opposite end of any of the links. It might be 6 to 10 consecutive links.

I had gotten the bar pinched in a cut yesterday when the branch moved and grabbed it. I"m not sure if that could have done it but I don't understand why it would not have bound up both rivits in any of the links.

The bar appears to be oiling properly and has wet saw dust on the chain and the bar near the groove.

I swapped out the chain and the new one looks to be sitting properly throughout it's travel.

Any ideas on what is going on?
You may also have a worn sprocket that is peening the drive links. Put up some good photos of the drive sprocket.

Notice that when you move the chain it will change tension as the sprocket turns, now its tight - now its loose...

Latest posts

Back