Chain melting plastic guide bumpers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effigy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have a Stihl MS 391.
I have the chain oil valve fully open and the oil tank drains along with the fuel tank during use.
I verify oil gently sprays a surface if i rev the throttle with the chain spinning an inch or 2 away from that surface
I'm using Stihl's bar & chain oil sold at my local dealer yet I've noticed what's depicted in these photos...
this can't be normal...
I hypothesize that it is adding tension on the chain, resistance when it spins... which could explain the diminished performance i am observing....
i seriously can't be over-tightening the 2 nuts that hold the chain sprocket cover on / bar in-place... all i am using is the Stihl scrench and tightenting until it's snug...

any advice?

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 78
  • img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 79
Possible debris being caught between chain and bar while cutting, or loose chain catching bumpers ?
no debris, chain is always tight but not too tight...
seems like it is melting simply from friction of the chain rubbing against it during use...

Does that have a spur sprocket? if so it might wear in so the chain rides exactly in the center of the bar groove. I have a different chainsaw that has similar nylon or hard plastic replaceable wear parts, bought a spare but have never installed it. The chain is drifting sideways, those things are keeping it sort of aligned. Intresting I have the MS251 similar bar mounts directly to the composite white stuff often called plastic but mine has a little rubber like piece where the oil comes out to better seal against the bar.

Ur saw using bar plates?
no bar plates
Does that have a spur sprocket? if so it might wear in so the chain rides exactly in the center of the bar groove. I have a different chainsaw that has similar nylon or hard plastic replaceable wear parts, bought a spare but have never installed it. The chain is drifting sideways, those things are keeping it sort of aligned. Intresting I have the MS251 similar bar mounts directly to the composite white stuff often called plastic but mine has a little rubber like piece where the oil comes out to better seal against the bar.
spur sprocket

IMHO it looks like your chain is floating on the 7T chain sprocket when the chain warms and loosens up a tad while running the saw, switch it over to the 7T rim sprocket assembly: 1125 007 1002
Put on a new bumper strip: 1121 648 6610
Then see how it wears the rim sprocket assembly

The wear can be worse if you have a bar with a narrow tail (usually a result of being dressed down a fair bit) or a chain on the long side causing the bar to be adjusted a long way forward

As said the nylon guide are a dime a dozen. Worth to have a few of the lower ones on hand and replace as you get only a little wear. Likely caused from derailing. The more they wear..the more they derail or throw chains, all though small bars on some saws are more forgiving That saw looks clean of chain throws altogether. Does it cut true otherwise?

Back