Chain rubbing on crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambgeorge1

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why my Stihl MS251chain is rubbing my crankcase? I have taken this into the stihl dealer and the area rep and no one has an answer. Saw has minimal hours and has given me issues from first few hours of use. The crankcase wear effects oil delivery. With the wear, oil pushes out between oiler and bar and makes a mess. When this happens chain isn't being oiled causing excessive heat and wear.. Shop said crankcase needed changed. After case was changed chain was still causing wear. Stihl dealer said bar and chain are the right ones for saw and are in good condition. Shop said there is nothing they can do. First picture is a saw crankcase I seen on ebay with the same wear. Please help!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-205023_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-205023_eBay.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210506_162140.jpg
    20210506_162140.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 60
Put up a wider pic or two. Also a pic of that sprocket.
I am guessingthat you have a worn out sprocket and the bar/chain adjuster is all of the way forward.

Put up a wider pic or two. Also a pic of that sprocket.
I am guessingthat you have a worn out sprocket and the bar/chain adjuster is all of the way forward.
Dealer shop said sprocket was good, and bar and chain are new. Rivets of chain rubs the case. I have several chains and all do same thing. Looks like a design flaw to me.

Can someone please explain why my Stihl MS251chain is rubbing my crankcase? I have taken this into the stihl dealer and the area rep and no one has an answer. Saw has minimal hours and has given me issues from first few hours of use. The crankcase wear effects oil delivery. With the wear, oil pushes out between oiler and bar and makes a mess. When this happens chain isn't being oiled causing excessive heat and wear.. Shop said crankcase needed changed. After case was changed chain was still causing wear. Stihl dealer said bar and chain are the right ones for saw and are in good condition. Shop said there is nothing they can do. First picture is a saw crankcase I seen on ebay with the same wear. Please help!!
Is this a little saw that inly uses one bar mounting stud? Is there not a stainless steel plate between bar/case?
Sumpin wack

That's horse sh!t.
I bet they could find something to do if the saw came in through their front window at about MACH 4
STIHL USA HAS USA FACTORIES AND PHONE # for DEALER to call WARRANTY center; GET THE DEALER'S OWNER to call the factory; he SHOULD BE ABLE TO send PICS to the factory/ SOMEONE'S CELL PHONE and get answers within an hour. The BOSS should KNOW these answers/ routes, even if shop/ parts counter employees do not?

I did find a parts list on the MS251 and do NOT see the SS PLATE I expected; POLITELY ASK THE dealer OWNER/ MANAGER to get on phone w/ STIHL for answers, or take trade in of your saw for new of another model?

Back