Chain seizes up, appears almost no oil on chain - new Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilmater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, ok I'm posting on behalf of someone else who I recommended this saw to, bought brand new from a dealer. When he bought this saw new, right out of the starting gates, the oil pump was non-functional (found this out after he tried cutting several logs with it). The bar oil reservoir was filled at the dealer, and briefly run there, and the dealer should have noticed this right then and there but did not.

As a result of this the chain (stock chain) has signs of heat stress (metal is blue/rainbow colors in areas across it). Also what worries me is this also means the sprocket was being used while getting zero oil as well as the bar. Maybe this caused the chain to stretch excessively as well. It wasn't used that much, but with no lube at all I'm wondering if those need to be replaced nonetheless.

So the thing is though, now with the defective oil pump replaced (and it does work now, because you can see oil coming out of the hole when you remove the bar and chain (the adjustment screw is also set to maximum flow [counter clockwise until it stops]. Even with this oil visibly coming out--when you put the bar and chain back on and run the saw, somehow that oil doesn't seem to be getting on the chain? He would make about 5-6 cuts and the chain would seize right up (this is with the new oil pump, and bar oil filled), and he would have to drag the chain really hard on the wood to try to get it moving again. The one time it froze up so bad that that's when he had to actually remove the bar and chain, and put it back on to get it unstuck.

I'm wondering if there are a number of contributing factors causing this (i.e. sprocket, bar, chain. excessively worn from making 10-12 cuts with zero oil?) or if there is some actual modification that needs to be done to increase bar oil flow (I saw someone mention using a carbide bit and "doubling the size" of the hole the oil comes out of, but sounds like that would void warranty plus no idea if that's even a viable idea) beyond what the saw is designed for (but this would make no sense because a saw is supposed to function flawlessly as designed to begin with).

This is under warranty, please advise on what you think would be the way to actually fix this problem. There's a a lot of great reviews about this saw, so on that basis alone, what I'm seeing happen here, is not supposed to be happening.

Thank you.

I would say it's a return to point of sale ASAP but before he/you do this mount the bar on the saw less chain start & see if oil flows into the bar top groove if yes try with chain to see if you have oil flow, if no see if the oil hole lines up with the case groove were the oil exits it's a bit of a work through the components performing their tasks If you suss the problem return to seller & tell him your findings & expect him to fix it.

This is the first I've heard of anybody having any problems with this saw. Always a possibility to get a defective product with any brand. Get it back to the dealer and let him sort it out. If he's good, he'll get it sorted out for you. I wouldn't touch anything and chance voiding the warranty. All my echo saws oil very well so there's obviously a problem.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Are you sure the chain is seizing due to lack of oil and not due to sawdust pack? This happens to me all the time when cutting softer wood types. The bar will get partially pinched as I get to the bottom of a cut and will get a wad of chips caught under the chain as the chain pulls away from the pinched bar. When I pull the bar from the cut the chips are caught under the chain and it won't move. I do as you stated above by laying the bar on top of the log and pulling the saw toward me to roll the chain backwards which dislodges the chips and then the chain spins free again. Sometimes the chips get stuck really badly and require more work to free up the chain. No big deal, but to avoid this I have to stop and think about how to avoid pinching the bar.
This may not be what is happening to your buddy's saw, but sure sounds like it to me. The 590 is not a cheap junky saw. And if the oiler is putting oil on the bar then this problem should not be happening due to a lack of it.
One last thing....if the bar is still turning blue he may need to sharpen his chain as he may be putting too much down-force on the saw causing the bar and chain to overheat (even with oil). A properly sharpened chain should require little to no down-force by the operator.

Are you sure the chain is seizing due to lack of oil and not due to sawdust pack? This happens to me all the time when cutting softer wood types. The bar will get partially pinched as I get to the bottom of a cut and will get a wad of chips caught under the chain as the chain pulls away from the pinched bar. When I pull the bar from the cut the chips are caught under the chain and it won't move. I do as you stated above by laying the bar on top of the log and pulling the saw toward me to roll the chain backwards which dislodges the chips and then the chain spins free again. Sometimes the chips get stuck really badly and require more work to free up the chain. No big deal, but to avoid this I have to stop and think about how to avoid pinching the bar.
This may not be what is happening to your buddy's saw, but sure sounds like it to me. The 590 is not a cheap junky saw. And if the oiler is putting oil on the bar then this problem should not be happening due to a lack of it.
One last thing....if the bar is still turning blue he may need to sharpen his chain as he may be putting too much down-force on the saw causing the bar and chain to overheat (even with oil). A properly sharpened chain should require little to no down-force by the operator.
i have this happen sometimes also. that's what i thought when the OP mentioned dragging the chain on the log.

When you heat up & sieze a chain dry it stretches like you said. Now that the chain is longer it will move the bar forward in relation to the oiler output slot. So check that the bar after chain is correctly tensioned is marrying up its oiler hole to the oiler slot. You may need to remove a drive link if this is the case.

i have this happen sometimes also. that's what i thought when the OP mentioned dragging the chain on the log.
I've never had a problem with my 590 stopping do to crap getting between the bar and chain but my 490 does it all the time. The 590 uses the same oiler as a 620p so it will oil a 27 no problem. I agree the problem is most likely with the alignment of the bar and the oil outlet on the saw. I'll go out and pull the bar off mine in a few and take some pics so you can see if you see anything different on yours.

IMG_20171011_084324.jpg So I took some pics and this is the one that maid me stop and think. Are you picking the bar up when you tighten the nuts on the bar studs? It looks like if that's not done most of the bar oil hole won't line up with the oiler on the saw.
IMG_20171011_084545.jpg IMG_20171011_084728.jpg here's some other picks for you to look at and compare. Hope you get it figured out.

Yup! Easy visual inspection.

Out cutting with a neighbor, we visually verified that oil was flowing in his saw, but the chain was dry. It was also super hot. I never did find out exactly what was the problem, but the dealer gave him a new chain and the problem was solved. I suspect it was the chain's gauge was to large for the bar.

I would say it's a return to point of sale ASAP but before he/you do this mount the bar on the saw less chain start & see if oil flows into the bar top groove if yes try with chain to see if you have oil flow, if no see if the oil hole lines up with the case groove were the oil exits it's a bit of a work through the components performing their tasks If you suss the problem return to seller & tell him your findings & expect him to fix it.

This is the first I've heard of anybody having any problems with this saw. Always a possibility to get a defective product with any brand. Get it back to the dealer and let him sort it out. If he's good, he'll get it sorted out for you. I wouldn't touch anything and chance voiding the warranty. All my echo saws oil very well so there's obviously a problem.

Quite a few people have posted issues with this saw. Personally I have 2 of the 590s that echo is dragging their heels in approving RMA's because of poor castings. I also now have a 3rd that I hope does not have the same issue. As usual it is the customer that is left holding the bag with echo. I am very cautious when I recommend equipment to friends and since I work at a dealership ( stihl, Honda, Toro, Echo, etc...) I tend to try and not lead them astray.

Quite a few people have posted issues with this saw. Personally I have 2 of the 590s that echo is dragging their heels in approving RMA's because of poor castings. I also now have a 3rd that I hope does not have the same issue. As usual it is the customer that is left holding the bag with echo. I am very cautious when I recommend equipment to friends and since I work at a dealership ( stihl, Honda, Toro, Echo, etc...) I tend to try and not lead them astray.
That sucks. I've been very pleased with all my echo products. Hopefully they honor the warranty.

That sucks. I've been very pleased with all my echo products. Hopefully they honor the warranty.

It has been more than 6 months. There was another user that has such issues and they were of no help at all. Other dealers have been speculating that Echo maybe wanting to do an exit or sell themselves to someone else. I have noticed that 1 reseller of Echo has now started to get some off shore products in the place of the echo. This does not bode well for echo at all ( Canadian Tire 500 locations ) I would hope that the home depot does not follow suit.

Latest posts

Back