Chain Sharpener Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPop

Reaction score
Looking to get an electric chain sharpener for the garage. Wanted to know what everyones thoughts are on which one to get or which one works the best. I don't want to spend big money on this. Any help on this would be great. Also I have a Dremel tool & was wondering if anyone has used one or got an attachment for chain sharpening.
Thanks
PopPop

Tecomec or Oregon. I have the Tecomec Super Jolly and really like it. I have sharpened with file my whole life. Not the greatest and have wrecked alot Chains. 2 years now with Tecomec and it works for me. I have found the perfect angle settings on machine for me and using Oregons full chisel chain.
20200418_161248.jpg

Lots of Oregon clones out there, and any differences are minor. I had one as a crutch til I learned to hand file, then sold it. It was great while I needed it, and sold it for close to what I paid. You are right not to want to spend much money. IMO, the expensive ones are for chainsaw shops, not for DIY firewood cutters. Target around $100, use it as needed then you can sell it for $75 or so a few years down the road.

Looking to get an electric chain sharpener for the garage. Wanted to know what everyones thoughts are on which one to get or which one works the best. I don't want to spend big money on this. Any help on this would be great. Also I have a Dremel tool & was wondering if anyone has used one or got an attachment for chain sharpening.
Thanks
PopPop
I bought one from Granberg - 12v dremmel-like, mounts on the bar. I could sharpen on the saw, as well as off of it.

I had a few spare used bars (one 24 and one 14inch) that I would put in a vise and was then able to sharpen a bunch of chains of various sizes and different angles that had accumulated over time, without putting on the saw . Still had to move the sharpener from chain to chain and make minor adjustments depending on tooth wear and check side to side symmetry, setting depth for the most worn tooth. Overall, I am happy with the results. I used a Red grease pencil to mark starting tooth.

Made me identify and organize all the chains, which in itself was worth it!

Thanks
PopPop
Honestly, I wouldn't bother.
I have worked forestry & as an arborist in Aus for nearly 20years, a good vice, clean files & hand filing should do. I'm not trying to be some wanker shooting you down, but I'm yet to find a professional tree company here that uses a powered sharpener. When done regularly you are only touching up the chain, yes repairing damage means taking more, but you actually get to understand how to make field sharpening really effective.

Hand filing done right is always the cheapest and best. Next up would be a dremel tool with expensive diamond grit stones (cheap ones wear out REAL fast). Your location isn't given but if you live in Canada, the pro model of bench grinders from Princess Auto is the best deal if you are convinced that you need one.

Lots of Oregon clones out there, and any differences are minor. I had one as a crutch til I learned to hand file, then sold it. It was great while I needed it, and sold it for close to what I paid. You are right not to want to spend much money. IMO, the expensive ones are for chainsaw shops, not for DIY firewood cutters. Target around $100, use it as needed then you can sell it for $75 or so a few years down the road.

The Techomec is actually built by the company that makes Oregon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I spent several years earning a living as a machinist so I'm pretty good with my hands, and somewhat picky about the sharpness of my cutting tools, all of them. I used a round file for over 2 decades. I've used most of the associated jigs that go with them. They all work, some better than others. I've also used a Dremel. It was my preferred tool on my 404 chain. This past fall I started using a Timberline and love it. I'm not going back. If I really want to use an electric Sharpener, I'll just put the carbide cutter in a cordless drill. 😉

Thanks
PopPop
DON'T get the dremel tool, file is quicker easier and better.
With grinders its really all about how much you wanna spend go cheap get **** results, go expensive it will be rock solid, but also hard to recoup the expence.

Hand filing done right is always the cheapest and best. Next up would be a dremel tool with expensive diamond grit stones (cheap ones wear out REAL fast). Your location isn't given but if you live in Canada, the pro model of bench grinders from Princess Auto is the best deal if you are convinced that you need one.
Nice wheels!
Nice wheels!
Capital Corvette Club?

I have a harbor frieght grinder. I use it if I catch metal in a tree. Then file the tooth.

it gets used once or twice a year.
After half life or so of the chain if I’m off noticeably left to right on my cutters I’ll pop it in the grinder just to even teeth up a little. I can’t justify an expensive grinder.

Back