Chain Sharpening Fixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the chain holder.
I usually just put a short bar in a vice, pop the chain on and don't worry about locking it on.
Normally I dont take my hands off the file and move the cutter into position with the file so I dont have to change my position or arm angle.
Dont recall having any problems with the chain moving.

I usually just put a short bar in a vice, pop the chain on and don't worry about locking it on.
Normally I dont take my hands off the file and move the cutter into position with the file so I dont have to change my position or arm angle.

I do it that way with the whole saw clamped in by the bar. But if you've got to a bunch a "sharpening bar" that lives by the vice is a good idea.

Same. Using the chain tensioner reduces the wiggle/play that can occur when the file moves across the cutter.
I have three chains for each of my saws/mill. I don’t like having to sharpen a chain in the field. I prefer sharpening my chains in my shop using my fixture with plenty of light. 😊
The vice or my bar comes in pretty handy. That would make a nice stump vice but just one more thing to lose outside.
Bolt that on your truck somehow.
I have a vice in my shed at our cabin I can clamp to.

Nicely thought out, and constructed. That’s a product you could sell, if you had an efficient way to produce them.

Philbert
I’ve made a few for friends. I made one for Art Martin for teaching me how he sharped his competition chains. I use planer blades that are no longer useful. I only made this one because mine was stolen. j-

I’ve made a few for friends. I made one for Art Martin for teaching me how he sharped his competition chains. I use planer blades that are no longer useful. I only made this one because mine was stolen. j-
It looked a bit familiar!

I started a thread on various home-made chain vises, but many of the images were lost. I will link yours to one of my threads, so that more folks can see it.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/philberts-low-tech-filing-vise.245004/
I like the simplicity of it. If I could weld, I would try to make one!

Philbert

I use a old Remington yardmaster bar the same way. Works pretty well.

Latest posts

Back