ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Chain sharpening video

Vintage Engine Repairs

Vintage Engine Repairs

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi guys, I had some fun making another video to document my journey within engine repair and in this case sharpening a chain.

Im no expert at freehand filing this is no secret, I’m still relatively new having only done it for about a year, but I had a crappy chain I was working on and I enjoy making videos of my journey so I put the two together. Over all I think the video is generally worth a watch and maybe it’ll interest you.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
put the saw on the bench, on your lap, whatever, leave the chain on the bar, hold the tooth with one hand and file with the other.

or lean over the saw from the back and hold the file with both hands filing a slightly snugged chain on the bar.

lose the vice.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Vintage Engine Repairs

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi guys, the reason for the vice is because the saw is in bits as i’m rebuilding it and thus I can’t have it on the bar. I fully agree and hate the vice, it gets in the way of comfortable filing, but the teeth are so bad that I figured I’d do a tooth or two every so often while I’m progressing through the rebuild. I wouldn’t want to repair 72 teeth in one go, by hand that are this bad.