Chain sharpening, what am I doing wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my FG2 back in the '80s when I worked at the saw shop. I had to sharpen customer chains and knew I was not taught the proper way by the results. Nobody griped except the people that kept pushing a dull chain or had rocked one. "You grinded all my chain away!". I enjoy using my FG2 and wish they were still available in the NA market. IMO Stihl leaves money on the table by not selling us MS 241, FG 2, progressive raker filing guides, and probably a lot of other nice to have things. I have been loyal to Stihl, but last two saws I bought were orange and not from Sweden.

I stayed using a file till I learned. I purchased a Oregon grinder but never used it that much. Sold it.

I bought my FG2 back in the '80s when I worked at the saw shop. I had to sharpen customer chains and knew I was not taught the proper way by the results. Nobody griped except the people that kept pushing a dull chain or had rocked one. "You grinded all my chain away!". I enjoy using my FG2 and wish they were still available in the NA market. IMO Stihl leaves money on the table by not selling us MS 241, FG 2, progressive raker filing guides, and probably a lot of other nice to have things. I have been loyal to Stihl, but last two saws I bought were orange and not from Sweden.
Yeah I think that style of guide that uses a round file but has a fixed-in-place angle setting is the way to go. Perfect angles every time and the advantages of a round file. Can't be beat.

IF YOU CAN GET YOUR COMPUTER TO zoom in ON YOUR pic ON THE CUTTER, you will be able to SEE what is wrong? WHEN Grinding/ sharpening, Magnifying Glass and GOOD LIGHT makes tremendous difference. Grinder wall mount just below shoulder height? GOOD LUCK (See blowup below, next post?)= Still VERY Fixable

I got a Oregon Vanguard chain and it has a funny raker on it. It cut well at first but now just powders after sharpening.

I have a harbor Freight sharpener and hand files/ jig.

First can I get away with just a HF grinding wheel sharpener? It seems to give the tooth and gullet a very flat face. Where the round hand file leaves a very concave edge. How important is that?

Second what's going on with this Vanguard chain? Does the raker need to be managed differently than a standard chain?

That's what it looks like after sharpening but it doesn't cut anymore. View attachment 890726

View attachment 890727
You aren’t using a stihl 2n1 file.

Back