chain tie straps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ray

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought some used chains an they are what most of my saws use 3/8 .050 x 72 but I have some old saws that have shorter bars , the chains are oregon, and carlton. My question is if I buy oregon tie straps will they work on the carlton chain as well. THanks.

I just bought some used chains an they are what most of my saws use 3/8 .050 x 72 but I have some old saws that have shorter bars , the chains are oregon, and carlton. My question is if I buy oregon tie straps will they work on the carlton chain as well. THanks.
Most times if the chassis height is close and the pin shoulder is exactly the same diameter.
Many companies copied Stihl or Oregon but not all. Four preset types seems to cover most of the 375 we use in CONUS or CAN.

I've used Oregon Tie Straps on Stihl and Husky chains. Don't know about Charlton, but I would think so.

Knock out an existing Tie Strap on one of the Charltons and see if the inner "bearing" is the same diameter as the Tie Straps you are thinking of buying.

If you can't find the specs on the Oregon, let me know and I will get out the calipers and measure mine.

Most Oregon tie straps will fit most Carlton chains. There are always exceptions.

Oregon uses one size of preset for 0.063 gauge chain, and a second one for both 0.058 and 0.050 gauge chains.

Things get a bit more particular when dealing with some of the newer, narrow kerf and low-profile chain models.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back