Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo15479

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
As long as I have been cutting I feel stupid asking this question but is there a difference between 3/8 ext chain and 3/8 chain? I know the difference between low profile and regular chain but not ext. I want to order a 100 foot roll and start making my own chain but I see 100 foot rolls with either 3/8 ext or just plain 3/8. I have been buying loops of chain and always run full chisel as I cut all hardwood. My saws are Still 036 pro, Stihl 044 magnum, Husky 61, Husky 372 xp, and Husky 395. The 395 uses different chain so my rolls would be for the smaller saws. Thanks and please don't beat up too bad for being so stupid.

As long as the pitch is 3/8 and the gauge (.050, .058, .063) matches your bar it will work. Every manufacturer has an abbreviation for the cutter sequence and type. That’s likely what the “EXT” is.

Is this on the Forester chains? From what I can gather is that is for Lo Pro chains. Is Lo Pro compatible for 3/8 "Standard"? IDK. I'd be cautious, call the company or I'd steer clear. It is a big investment to buy a 50' or 100' roll of chain. Hate to get something that doesn't work for your current setup.

back in the day, 3/8 extended pitch meant 3/8 low profile like stihl 63p or oregon 91s types, which you dont want

Yes, I think you nailed it. It was on the Ahlborne site where I have an account and I think it means low profile chain which would run but I do not want. What I was looking at was the carlton chain and it was listed as 3/8 ext 50 gauge or 3/8 50 gauge so the ext must mean low profile. Thanks for the replies.

The 3/8 LP (low profile) chain is generally for 40cc saws and has a different chain sprocket than the 3/8 standard chain (60cc+).

Back