Chainsaw bar and chain replacement question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wislauson

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an old Stihl FarmBoss MS290 that needs a new bar and chain. Before I order yet another incompatible part I'm hoping someone can verify whether or not I'm on the right path. The sprocket is for a 3/8 inch pitch; the bar that is still on the chain (18 inch) is a .050 gauge with 66 links. If I order a bar and chain set with the 3/8" pitch and .050 gauge does the number of links matter? That should fit on the sprocket on the chainsaw, yes? There are other runes and symbols on the sprocket but I'm thinking the only one that really matters for what I'm trying to do is the pitch and gauge but I seem to keep ordering parts that don't fit.

There are many bar mount patterns. Make sure you get one that matches your saw. Drive link count does matter. The ms290 did come in .325 pitch and 3/8 pitch. Make sure your getting a bar to match the chain you have or plan on getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to use the same chains, it will need to have the same number of drive links. If you're going to buy new chains, then you can change length if you want.

Only other thing to watch out for is 3/8 lo profile. Just make sure you don't get anything with 3/8lp or picco in the name.

+1 for tsumura I have 6 and they are the equal to or better than the still ES bars

I'm looking to replace the bar and chain at the same time. Saw this on Amazon; will this work? https://www.amazon.com/Chain-Combo-...rds=ms290+bar+and+chain&qid=1603898399&sr=8-5

It is compatible. How long it will work for is questionable. That same seller I linked to above sells Archer chain. It's also made in China, but I've used it a fair amount and I like it. They sell tsumura bars in 20" also. These bars are made in Japan and are a whole different level of quality.

My experience has been to buy a quality bar (Tsumura, Cannon) and chain (Stihl) from a Supporting Vendor--they'll do right by you (plus, help you avoid a lot of headaches). When everything is together and running well you'll realize how much money and time you saved by doing so.

Nothing I love more than unsolicited condescension.
It is not condescension it is good advice buy that type of thing and then a couple of weeks or a month or so you'll be back saying you need another one because you've worked out that one is rubbish it happens all the time just like people who buy those cheap crappy Chinese rubbish saws .
the bitterness of poor quality lasts a lot longer than the shock of a decent price

Hi,

I've got an old Stihl FarmBoss MS290 that needs a new bar and chain. Before I order yet another incompatible part I'm hoping someone can verify whether or not I'm on the right path. The sprocket is for a 3/8 inch pitch; the bar that is still on the chain (18 inch) is a .050 gauge with 66 links. If I order a bar and chain set with the 3/8" pitch and .050 gauge does the number of links matter? That should fit on the sprocket on the chainsaw, yes? There are other runes and symbols on the sprocket but I'm thinking the only one that really matters for what I'm trying to do is the pitch and gauge but I seem to keep ordering parts that don't fit.
Drive sprocket, bar, and chain all have to match in gauge and pitch. The number of drive links will depend on chain length and bar.

Back