Chainsaw chain electric grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skooter

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a Oregon chain grinder does any of the grinders have a top plate angle lock to get the top plate angle 25 degrees the same on both sides of the chain. The Oregon grinder I have is a 511 ax it does a good job but the 25 degree angle is off so the angle is not the same on both sides when you grind the chain. Thanks Scott

The Oregon 511AX is a pretty good grinder. But they are not perfect. A ‘semi-precision’ device.

A few options:

Install a ‘perfect’ (new?) chain in the grinder, with the power ’OFF’; adjust the grinder head to match the chain; and record the Right and Left index plate readings. Use those settings (e.g., the settings 23° Right and 27° Left might give you the perfect 25° cutters R and L).

As above, but use some type of machinists’ tool / gauge to measure the 25° on the grinder, or off finished chains.

Instead of using the ‘offset settings’, above, remove the metal index plate, enlarge the mounting holes, and shift / reinstall the plate correctly (I put double-stick tape on the back to help hold it in place).

Philbert

Gave up on that myself. Trying to center a grinding wheel on a none reversible motor presents its own problems. The chains and my wheel get flipped for a more consistent hook angle per side. Do one side first then switch to the other cutters. Matching the cutter length changes per loop but not much else except dropping the depth as the cutters get shorter and the stop advances forward. Starting with the shortest or longest cutters first makes it all go quickly it seems when your grinding hundreds or thousands of cutters per session.

Never get many new "perfect" chains here. Vice deflection and sloppy stops can screwup more things than a face angle. My one grinder is accurate side to side. The rest not so much.

GL OP

Gave up on that myself. Trying to center a grinding wheel on a none reversible motor presents its own problems. The chains and my wheel get flipped for a more consistent hook angle per side. Do one side first then switch to the other cutters. Matching the cutter length changes per loop but not much else except dropping the depth as the cutters get shorter and the stop advances forward. Starting with the shortest or longest cutters first makes it all go quickly it seems when your grinding hundreds or thousands of cutters per session.

Never get many new "perfect" chains here. Vice deflection and sloppy stops can screwup more things than a face angle. My one grinder is accurate side to side. The rest not so much.

GL OP
Thank you for your help I appreciate your answer I will try what posted

Latest posts

Back