Chainsaw chain sharpener choices?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakyjake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are the better chain sharpeners choices?

I don't sharpen enough to perfect my skills, so I want something that I can slap on my chain, no fussing around making tedious adjustments, sharpen quickly, and get to work sawing.

I tried hand sharpening, but I'm not getting those nice big chunks of chips and fast cuts like a hot butter knife like I do with a new chain.

Preferences:
Jigged (ready, set, sharpen, and go)
Universal (as long as it universal doesn't mean tedious setup)
Electric (I'll sharpen in my shop, not field)

Technology:
Buffalo Tools ECSS ($50) (seems like the best choice)
Timberline ($110) (not universal for the price, better for field use)
Granberg File-N-Joint Precision Filing Guide ($40) (why not spend $10 more for the Buffalo?)
Granberg G1012XT ($80) (electric, but looks tedious to setup)
Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File ($70) (not universal for the price)

Thoughts?

I don’t know about any of those.

But jftr, new chains need a couple of sharpenings before they are sharp.

Very seldom does a new chain feel very sharp to me. And they don’t seem to hold an edge very long anyway until you file them yourself.

I can’t file very well compared to someone who can, but I will just keep trying rather than fart around with a stone.

Eventually I will get it... filing, that is.

I don’t know about any of those.

But jftr, new chains need a couple of sharpenings before they are sharp.

Very seldom does a new chain feel very sharp to me. And they don’t seem to hold an edge very long anyway until you file them yourself.

I can’t file very well compared to someone who can, but I will just keep trying rather than fart around with a stone.

Eventually I will get it... filing, that is.

What brand of chains are you buying? Stihl and Husky chains are razors, new out of the box.

What are the better chain sharpeners choices?

I don't sharpen enough to perfect my skills, so I want something that I can slap on my chain, no fussing around making tedious adjustments, sharpen quickly, and get to work sawing.

I tried hand sharpening, but I'm not getting those nice big chunks of chips and fast cuts like a hot butter knife like I do with a new chain.

Preferences:
Jigged (ready, set, sharpen, and go)
Universal (as long as it universal doesn't mean tedious setup)
Electric (I'll sharpen in my shop, not field)

Technology:
Buffalo Tools ECSS ($50) (seems like the best choice)
Timberline ($110) (not universal for the price, better for field use)
Granberg File-N-Joint Precision Filing Guide ($40) (why not spend $10 more for the Buffalo?)
Granberg G1012XT ($80) (electric, but looks tedious to setup)
Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File ($70) (not universal for the price)

I don't use a grinder (have a Northern Tool I've never unboxed). The Buffalo Tools has good reviews on Amazon but would concern me with all the plastic. Should use at least 2 sizes of wheels for all the chain sizes. If I wanted a grinder I'd go aways further up the food chain.

Timberline looks interesting but I've resisted because of the cost of the burrs. Life and potential damage/replacement cost don't look good to me.

I use and like the Granberg File-N-Joint. Does a nice job.

I don't have a Granberg electric, but would think setup is similar to the File-N-Joint.

2 in 1 should be more in the ~$35 range. Maybe look at Pferd, same setup. I've never used but a lot of folks speak well of them.

Some depends how many chain pitches, number of chains a week, such info.

Thoughts?

I use a multi-speed dremel on low setting with the 5/32, 3/16, 7/32 stones and I have very good luck with it. When chains get wore down I switch to a worn stone of the next size up and file the rakers down a bit and I like what I get. The grinding stones don't hold up well but they are cheap. I use a 1" square of 4" long wood with 30 degree lines drawn on it in the shape of a "w" to hold against the bar as I grind to give me a constant angle to shoot for and hope I keep it at 90 degrees perpendicular to the bar. I count 1001, 1002, and move on, using a light touch. Sometimes I do better than others but mostly I get chips coming out the back of the saw.

The Husqvarna brand roller guide is what I use for quick touch upsin the field. Works awesome no messing around with just set it on and go to filing. I ha e the Oregon professional filing jig thingy for chains that have been rocked and need some special attention or when I wanna mess with angles

I expect never to have the experience to be a great hand sharpener but with the Stihl 2-in-1 I have found it easy to get excellent results quickly. Whoever is quoting $70 for it is gouging. My preferred dealer, who probably charges more than your local dealer for most things, sells it for $44.50.

Tried to buy the Stihl two in one sharpener but They have been sold out for over a month and the dealer has been trying to find out when they might come in but Stihl Doesnt talk.
There were some on eBay with jacked up prices plus shipping but I can wait.

Back