chainsaw decisions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am currently looking to purchase a chainsaw for all around use. I have narrowed down the search between a couple of models. The husqvarna 350 or 351, jonsered 2149 or the stihl 026. I would like to know which model is the best and most reliable for the money. I want something that will last for many years and has the power to tackle most any job. If any one could tell me what the true differences between these models are I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You
epc

If you get 3 replies, you will probably get 3 different answers. I prefer the Stihl 026 myself, as I have owned several. There is another thread on this same subject from last week in this category. Titled 'buying new saw, help please'. I assume most opinions haven't changed in the last week.
GET THE STIHL!:blob2: :blob2:

I like the Stihl personally too, but make sure you get the 026 with the 3/8 chain. The dealer can also order it with the .325 chain which I dont like. The Husky and Jonsered are close to the same thing as electrolux built both. I would choose the Husky out of these as it is a step up in quality. I personally would look at the 55 to compare price. It isnt the quality of the 026 but its as close to a commercial saw as you can get. That saw is bulletproof and you will get a little more bang for the buck. I know several guys using this saw professionally. It sounds like this is just going to be a here and there saw for you. Like I said if I had to choose, it would be the Stihl. If I was going to pick one on price and power it would be the Husky. I am sure this is confusing. :eek:

I have a 55 and it is an excellent saw. Darin is right. It is nearly the saw that an 026 is and is a solid $100 cheaper.

I always thought the 026 was a great saw , but a little over priced.You have not looked at the 029, now the ms290. Mid range saw with a great price.$ 275.00 to $ 300.00 range.

Go for a husky great saws just stay away from the lower end models. The more money you spend does not mean a better saw.
I found out the hard way good luck

I have just recently purchased a Stihl 046 mag and have nothing but praise for the saw. I would say the 026 personally just because it can pull up to a 24" bar so it’s quite versatile. Anyways I would buy the stihl its a great saw.

brian said he owned several stihls that should be a clue.
husky is the only way to go.
i live in the woods and use wood for heat. nothing beats a husky.

mike

Yes, mike. I have owned several. My roommate let one slide off the tailgate of the pick-up once, and I had 3 stolen- One of my employees was a closet cocaine addict. I sold my last 2 when I got out of the trees last year. NONE of them ever failed to perform, and if I had to go back into it I would buy a few more STIHLS (and maybe a 3120XP Husky :blob2: ) I have nothing against Huskys, I am just more comfortable with the Stihls. Both are excellent saws.

I'm going to recommend the Stihl 026. If they still made it, I'd push for the 028 Super. Excellent saw. I'd really try to avoid the 029/ms290. Somebody had mentioned issue with bent crankshafts or something. It was mentioned that it's a 3 piece, pressed & welded, crank. The higher end models use a two piece crank. I just don't care for all the plastic.

Larry

In 23 years, I've had 8 Stihls. The 031 was stolen after 18 years of service, and the 038 was swiped while virtually still a virgin. I flattened an 026 with the bucket truck one day. Spent $200 trying to fix it, but it still was not right, so I traded it for a new 026.

The 028, 026, 036, 064 and 066 are still with me, all running fine, except for the 028 - it needs a carb kit after 22 years.

I have nothing against Husky, but the track record that my saws have made for themselves speaks for itself. So, I repeat,

026:blob2: 026:blob2: 026:blob2:

Back