Chainsaw disease spreading, three ill...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibeatgodzilla

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm posting this as much out of curiosity as for suggestions - I have yet to dismantle and diagnose them so am sure I'll figure it out; though extra thoughts are always helpful.

It seems that chainsaws are rapidly falling ill and failing around where I am. A good friend's fairly new MS261 gave up the ghost on the ignition module - that was easy to diagnose - so I grudgingly let him borrow my trusty 023, making sure he put the right fuel/oil in it. He knows how to use it as he's helped me with a few jobs.

Typical - when I see him two days later "it stopped working" ... He said it worked, but - even whilst using as opposed to idling - will just stall, instantly. And then go again when you pull the cord. Odd.

We went to a job together and I tried it first out of curiosity. Started up fine, as usual, and sure enough barely a minute in it just stopped dead in its tracks, absolutely instantly, and went off again when I restarted it. And then kept repeating the issue. It's not fuel starvation, or certainly doesn't seem it. And it really doesn't feel like an ignition problem either - starting warm or cold is no problem. Same with a different spark plug (never really the source of any problems in my experience but always worth a try seeing as it's so easy to change).

So for the rest of the job I used my 025. Which - typical, on the day of the job with the backup saw no longer running properly - decides to play up too. It'll go, well, but you constantly have to keep the trigger halfway in. The obvious idea of tinkering with the idle screw made no difference, even all the way in - and it idled fine in this position previously. So a bit of pain constantly having to restart that one many times throughout the day as well. When it was running, it seemed to be running as good as always. Could this be an air leak? If so surely that would affect normal running as well as idling? Plug colour checked a couple of times in the day, perfect. Could it be low-end carburation? Though surely that would have an influence on the high-end rpm too? And again, it was always working fine with the screws in their current position.

Both the 023 and 025 have always been very reliable machines, never had any issues with either. Both have had the 'open the exhaust up a bit and compensate with the carb screws' treatment for a bit more power, but not recently and they've run brilliantly like this for a long time. They both get very regular use. Air filters clean and flowing in both, fuel pressure release valves good on both, chains at normal tension, not too tight.

Bad batch of fuel? Perhaps, but if so it didn't affect the 066 or KM130 I was also using that day. So not likely. For the same reason I won't consider potential 'atmospheric differences' and I'm sure the place was pretty similar altitude anyway.

Would be good to get at least one of the two smaller saws back up and running - any ideas what could be wrong with either of them?

When it stops instantly under load and then restarts easily, I would suspect an electrical issue. If this saw has AV mounts, is it possible that under load the handle assembly with the ignition switch is moving enough relative to the saw body to put strain on wiring or rubbing insulation off wires?
With the 025, something has gone wrong with the idle fuel delivery which has very little affect on full load operation. Did you try adjusting the L screw as well as the idle speed screw? Might be the time to pull the welch plug covering the idle/transfer ports and making sure the idle circuit is performing as it should. Another possibility is the main jet nozzle check valve, if it has one (most carbs do), is sticking open which can seriously lean out the idle.

Long long ago, I bought a stihl 031, av. With electronic ignition.
Occasionally, it would go lean on idle. The fix was to screw the low mixture screw all the way in, counting turns. (So I'd know the setting it was at before) then remove the L screw. And, use spray wd 40 or any kind of spray, to clean out.
What had happened was a bit of gunk was clogging the L jet.
The answer was to get it to move along. Then set the jet back to its original setting. I wound up learning to open that L jet excessively, let the junk by, and reset it.
The source of gunk can be corrosion in carb. Or sawdust in gas. But no matter. The answer was the same. You could successfully use carb cleaner, or spray silicone, or any aerosol, that is flammable.
Anyway, you could have to repeat that several times, every time it clogs.
These suggestions worked many times for me.
N

Thanks for the replies, guys!

The winter/summer shutter is in winter position in both saws - though yesterday, the day of bad chainsaw luck, was fairly decent weather and not particularly cold. 14C approx.

I will try changing the fuel in the hope that it's not the issue, I filled up three whole jerrycans from that pump last week, and my van is diesel... Funny that the 066 and KM130 weren't affected, both performed well. But something to consider either way. I think I've still got a bit left from the previous fill-up somewhere, or can otherwise drain the tank of one of my mopeds.

I'll check the pistons and hope that both aren't coincidentally scored at the same time. It would be unlikely, but there again the word 'coincidence' exists for a reason. I rebuilt the 025 about a month ago and didn't notice any damage then. But then is then, and now is now. I'll check.

Will check ignition wires likewise - though the mounts on the 023 are relatively new (renewed in the last couple of years).

I didn't tinker with the L screw yesterday as at that point I wanted to get the job done instead of gamble ending up with a saw that didn't work at all. Will do. Natster's idea is good too - reminded me of my 038 which constantly clogs up the little mesh fuel filter inside the carb (I guess that's a sign of a not-so-good in-tank filter?)

Will report back hopefully with something positive!

I'd like to say the cause of the 023 failure is "Murphy's law - that's what happens when you lend your tools out" but it's not particularly helpful :)

I had bad gas in my lawn tractor. Just all of a sudden started running poorly, and I was about to take the carb apart. Luckily I decided to drain the tank and refill it with fresh gas -- Problem Solved. That was when I learned about ethanol free fuel. I had always bought premium gas for the equipment from a single gas station, not knowing it was e-free fuel. The bad gas was bought at a different station, that I later learned has ethanol. Fixed a problem, simply and learned something. A good thing!

Got the 025 fixed; blocked low-rev circuit as suggested.

As for the 023... sigh... never lend out your tools. Now he did put the wrong fuel in, when I asked if he'd put enough 2-stroke in he said 'erm...some...' .No wonder, I've got a knackered barrel and piston now and the thing won't go at all. Used to be such a reliable everyday machine.

Oh well, at least I can carry on working with the first one...

Awww that kinda sux, the good ol lend your saw out number. There are cheap AM cylinders for them homeowner Stihls possibly you may only need a piston & some work cleaning up the bore. I hope you grawled at your friend.

If you lend a saw, ALWAYS send it with pre-mix, of your own making.
There are simply too many goombaughs in this world, to trust the task of making pre-mix, to them.

Back