Chainsaw kickback and accidents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’d like to think that if I do everything right, I won’t experience a chainsaw accident. Most of the time when hearing of incidents involving chainsaws, I can easily point out at least one mistake the person made that caused that accident. It’s the videos or reports that just show the aftermath with little details on how it happened. Alarming is the “an arborist with 20 years of experience died today” news stories. Those stories sometimes have me believe my saw will jump out of the cut and go to work on my body parts. I believe those experienced folks got complacent and did something they knew they shouldn’t- may have gotten away with it 100 times before. Has anyone had a “did everything by the book but yet….” experience?

im not the person to give advice here just FYI

BUT, keep that bar tip (top half) away from ANYTHING, and be careful using the top of your bar, it can grab and push stuff to the tip

that being said ive done some sketchy stuff and lived, hang on for dear life and keep your mug away from the direction the saw will go it it kicks back
all my "sketchy" stuff was cutting up brush, just set the saw on the pile and buck it like firewood, im pretty sure that has a very high risk of kickback

oh, and keep your chain sharp, and those rakers in check, if your saw is operating properly, and your hand is behind the brake handle you should be fine

again, not the person to ask but thats my $0.02

I’d like to think that if I do everything right, I won’t experience a chainsaw accident. Most of the time when hearing of incidents involving chainsaws, I can easily point out at least one mistake the person made that caused that accident. It’s the videos or reports that just show the aftermath with little details on how it happened. Alarming is the “an arborist with 20 years of experience died today” news stories. Those stories sometimes have me believe my saw will jump out of the cut and go to work on my body parts. I believe those experienced folks got complacent and did something they knew they shouldn’t- may have gotten away with it 100 times before. Has anyone had a “did everything by the book but yet….” experience?
Being tired at the end of the day really adds to the danger.

As far as kickback goes, technique, technique, technique... and keep your body out of the plane of the cut! Always cut to the side, don't stand behind the saw.
Yet for many cuts, using proper body positioning, you are basically in the same plane as the bar. Huskys' angled handle helps to limit that, to some degree. Generally tho, if you have perfect control of the saw with correct body position showing a strong, correct hold, you are in the danger zone. Or else you have such a wimpy hold on the tool if anything happens it is out of your control. All of this standing to the side with a bent left elbow is rubbish. It is tiring and you don't have control (I'm thinking bucking and to a certain extent limbing). And you look afraid of the saw, which you are, cause your posture is bad, timid, and weak, generally speaking.

Up in a tree would be completely different, I'm sure. Don't know, I'm a groundie.

Yet for many cuts, using proper body positioning, you are basically in the same plane as the bar. Huskys' angled handle helps to limit that, to some degree. Generally tho, if you have perfect control of the saw with correct body position showing a strong, correct hold, you are in the danger zone. Or else you have such a wimpy hold on the tool if anything happens it is out of your control. All of this standing to the side with a bent left elbow is rubbish. It is tiring and you don't have control (I'm thinking bucking and to a certain extent limbing). And you look afraid of the saw, which you are, cause your posture is bad, timid, and weak, generally speaking.

Up in a tree would be completely different, I'm sure. Don't know, I'm a groundie.
So get tired, no one said it was going to be easy... kick your right leg back, stand at a 45, and cock your head to the side. You will see the cut better anyway. And yes, tight grip on the saw with dynamic tension in your body. I am not talking about standing totally sideways, kickback will not hit your shoulder, but keep your noggin out of that plane...

So get tired, no one said it was going to be easy... kick your right leg back, stand at a 45, and cock your head to the side. You will see the cut better anyway. And yes, tight grip on the saw with dynamic tension in your body. I am not talking about standing totally sideways, kickback will not hit your shoulder, but keep your noggin out of that plane...
Yes always keep your head away from the kickback area.

Fatigue and dehydration will sneak up on fella.
I did an impromptu cutting session with a neighbor a couple months ago. Very hot. Felt fine. Moving logs, bucking,, and a little low climbing. About an hour in just after coming out of the tree I felt like I was going to pass out. Like you said - came on FAST. Vision and hearing got weird. Told him I couldn’t continue to cut and he completely agreed. Got to my van, turned on the AC, drank water, passed out while in park (didn’t feel ok to drive 10 houses down the street) Woke up and went home for rest and tons of fluids. Completely fine an hour later and finished the job. When a good deal of saw work is planned I load up with fluids and get something in my stomach. Sometimes even a protein shake!

Has happened to me many times, catch yourself climbing stupid... it sneaks up on you. So to the groundies, keep an eye on your climber! He may not recognize it, but if he isn't acting normal on a hot day... getting irritable, looking clumsy, don't be afraid to speak up!

On a side note to that, groundies, communicate and check on your climber often! It is very easy on a big job to get tunnel vision on the ground... lots of brush to drag, chipper and saws are running, boss wants it done yesterday... but glance up and check on him. I remember a couple jobs where I had a 3 man ground crew and literally could not get their attention for 5 or 10 minutes, which felt like hours...

On a side note to that, groundies, communicate and check on your climber often! It is very easy on a big job to get tunnel vision on the ground... lots of brush to drag, chipper and saws are running, boss wants it done yesterday... but glance up and check on him. I remember a couple jobs where I had a 3 man ground crew and literally could not get their attention for 5 or 10 minutes, which felt like hours...
I bought some whistles for getting attention when I’m working with others. Not been tried/tested yet. Pretty loud. Any experience using them as an attention grabber?

I bought some whistles for getting attention when I’m working with others. Not been tried/tested yet. Pretty loud. Any experience using them as an attention grabber?
No, I haven't. I like the way some of the top end guys are incorporating comms into their helmets. Honestly though, it shouldn't be necessary. When I was contract climbing I always brought my own grounds man, and his only job was to run my ropes and rigging. I would get some resistance until they saw the dance we did... his only job was to run my ropes, and it was worth every penny.

last week i was undercutting to release a ton of log been lifted by crane,,, just as hottie Shelia with a fantastic tight ass walked passed,,, and yup the whole crew got thoroughly distracted,, & this is how unsuspected things go wrong and are not written up on the report sheet..

View attachment 920274
Glad no one was hurt. Article: “Sheila’s butt kills one, another seriously injured”

last week i was undercutting to release a ton of log been lifted by crane,,, just as hottie Shelia with a fantastic tight ass walked passed,,, and yup the whole crew got thoroughly distracted,, & this is how unsuspected things go wrong and are not written up on the report sheet..

View attachment 920274

I hope that’s not her in the photo, I don’t find her sexy at all [emoji1787][emoji1303]

Fatigue and dehydration will sneak up on fella.
Also "Jack Rabbit medicine" is deadly. Jumping and running getting in a hurry. I once walked off a job when I was told to hurry up. Watching some logger stuff on T.V. gets me a tad upset. Those young guys being pushed like animals. Ole Rabbit running from Coyote and right into a passing car. Slow down, think everything through. Your best protection is your brain.

Latest posts

Back