Chainsaw repair help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addison_smith97

Reaction score
So I have an 18 inch craftsman chainsaw that I’m repairing for my father. I opened up the gas tank and obviously there is sitting the gas lines deteriorated as I figured so I replace the gas lines, gas filter, put a new air filter on it, primer bulb pretty much everything except a rebuild kit on the carb. Reason I didn’t put a rebuild kit is I had it running pretty decently not the best but it would idle. So I figured it’d probably be fine. Well now I can’t get it started at all, I decided to just buy a new carb because it’s like 10 bucks instead of rebuilding, so my question is do you think that the old carb just gummed up again with sediment in there? I’m not anywhere close to a master at this stuff so I figured I’d get some advice from you guys. Thanks a lot.

Also bonus question haha he gave me a 20 year old home lite replaced the gas lines and filter and got it running but then it started smoking from somewhere inside the engine not like oil smoke either and then just died. It’s pretty gummed up and disgusting I don’t even know if it’s worth saving, thoughts on what it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have an 18 inch craftsman chainsaw that I’m repairing for my father. I opened up the gas tank and obviously there is sitting the gas lines deteriorated as I figured so I replace the gas lines, gas filter, put a new air filter on it, primer bulb pretty much everything except a rebuild kit on the carb. Reason I didn’t put a rebuild kit is I had it running pretty decently not the best but it would idle. So I figured it’d probably be fine. Well now I can’t get it started at all, I decided to just buy a new carb because it’s like 10 bucks instead of rebuilding, so my question is do you think that the old carb just gummed up again with sediment in there? I’m not anywhere close to a master at this stuff so I figured I’d get some advice from you guys. Thanks a lot.

Also bonus question haha he gave me a 20 year old home lite replaced the gas lines and filter and got it running but then it started smoking from somewhere inside the engine not like oil smoke either and then just died. It’s pretty gummed up and disgusting I don’t even know if it’s worth saving, thoughts on what it could be?

The fuel line routing is usually wrong on these. Fuel is sucked thru the carb by the primer. Usually people route it so fuel is blown into the carb and they won't run that way. Was the brake on, on the homelite?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The fuel line routing is usually wrong on these. Fuel is sucked thru the carb by the primer. Usually people route it so fuel is blown into the carb and they won't run that way. Was the brake on, on the homelite?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure I have the lines correct. I have it sucking through the carb with the primer, I totally understand it’s tricky I’ll definitely check it again though just to make sure. Thanks for that,

Yes I believe the brake was on initially but I got the saw running and it was running perfect even wide open and then it just cut out and started smoking. Not sure if it’s something in the top end, if it was not sure if it would be worth messing with on this particular saw.

Back