Chainsaw Safety Questionnaire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the survey, but I'm not sure what features you could implement, as most injures come as a result of the chain touching skin.. so most ways to fix that are either training or PPE

Haulting epa garbage would go a long way, a faster cutting stronger saw reduces fatigue...the number 1 cause of accidents. Frankly we are getting vastly overpopulated with stupid people, warning label removal would cause a sharp spike in death numbers but over time the numbers would drop much lower and stay down.

Haulting epa garbage would go a long way, a faster cutting stronger saw reduces fatigue...the number 1 cause of accidents. Frankly we are getting vastly overpopulated with stupid people, warning label removal would cause a sharp spike in death numbers but over time the numbers would drop much lower and stay down.
I agree with this to a point, but i think that with increased saw usage we can't keep using the old tech. You can avoid fatugue by using the right saw for the job (eg don't always use a 660/880, use a lighter saw where you can. Don't have unrealistic exectations of work output. Take breaks. etc. I think a lot of the injuries come from people not being able to afford chaps, helmets, chainsaw bots, etc. This and the cost of formal training is also quite high. Then there's also the culture of not using PPE, working til you drop, etc and people feeling pressure to "fit in" at all costs.

I am not following the link and doing a survey. I do notice it says "Electrical Engineering student" I was using a gasoline powered chainsaw today and noticed how the chain kept going around long enough for me to put it down and let go. As folks get used to the battery stuff stopping perhaps in 1/10 the time this might be where you are headed. Not sure what mode of injury you are thinking of.

I am not following the link and doing a survey. I do notice it says "Electrical Engineering student" I was using a gasoline powered chainsaw today and noticed how the chain kept going around long enough for me to put it down and let go. As folks get used to the battery stuff stopping perhaps in 1/10 the time this might be where you are headed. Not sure what mode of injury you are thinking of.
That's how I cut my leg - Now not only do i wear chaps, but I really focus on engaging the brake between cuts if i have to take one hand off the saw

I agree with this to a point, but i think that with increased saw usage we can't keep using the old tech. You can avoid fatugue by using the right saw for the job (eg don't always use a 660/880, use a lighter saw where you can. Don't have unrealistic exectations of work output. Take breaks. etc. I think a lot of the injuries come from people not being able to afford chaps, helmets, chainsaw bots, etc. This and the cost of formal training is also quite high. Then there's also the culture of not using PPE, working til you drop, etc and people feeling pressure to "fit in" at all costs.
Ive ran a chainsaw for 20+ yrs and never ever came close to an accident untill a few years back i cut myself in the face shoulder and leg because i was trying to impress my old boss.

Ive ran a chainsaw for 20+ yrs and never ever came close to an accident untill a few years back i cut myself in the face shoulder and leg because i was trying to impress my old boss

I think you need more targeted questions if you actually want to get any ideas for making saw safer thru innovation. This looks like more of a marketing survey. Leave that to the business students and do some research on how people get hurt with saws. I think that far more people are injured when what they are cutting falls the wrong way compared to being cut with a chain, but a could be wrong. Essentially the only innovation is in getting the chain to stop quicker. Ever seen a ‘saw stop’ table saw? If you could do that with a chainsaw you might have something. But it would like add a lot of weight and cost, so doubtful it would be marketable.

I think you need more targeted questions if you actually want to get any ideas for making saw safer thru innovation. This looks like more of a marketing survey. Leave that to the business students and do some research on how people get hurt with saws. I think that far more people are injured when what they are cutting falls the wrong way compared to being cut with a chain, but a could be wrong. Essentially the only innovation is in getting the chain to stop quicker. Ever seen a ‘saw stop’ table saw? If you could do that with a chainsaw you might have something. But it would like add a lot of weight and cost, so doubtful it would be marketable.
I think Stihl‘s ‘QS‘ (quikstop s) models of saw do that already, once hand comes off safetyinterlock on rear handle chain brake is activated.
and husky has trio brake which also is designed to be a safer approach to kickback
the only device that will elimate kickback was the old Homelite “saf t tip” which was bolted to nose of saw (echo also used this feature too for awhile) but it hindered cutting and 99.9% removed it

I think Stihl‘s ‘QS‘ (quikstop s) models of saw do that already, once hand comes off safetyinterlock on rear handle chain brake is activated.
and husky has trio brake which also is designed to be a safer approach to kickback
the only device that will elimate kickback was the old Homelite “saf t tip” which was bolted to nose of saw (echo also used this feature too for awhile) but it hindered cutting and 99.9% removed it
Saw stop doesn’t have anything to do with kick back. As I understand it as soon as it senses that the blade is cutting flesh instead of wood, the blade brake (table saw blade remember) will engage and the blade drops into the table. The inventor has demonstrated it on his own finger. I would think that something similar could be used on a saw, however it would likely be heavy and expensive. However Even with both hands on the saw, and finger on the throttle this would in theory stop the chain in a fraction of a second once it contacted flesh.

Hi,

I am an Electrical Engineering student researching chainsaw safety and possible ways to make chainsaws safer. My research group has put together a questionnaire, it would be great if we could get some responses for research purposes. See the link below:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ZwbUUX4Al0nOP50scbNxyqi3oL6Sc2vczt-FK3nqnZxYg
Much appreciated !
I want to see an electric saw worth its price tag. We have the tech easy but no one has the brains. I simply don't have the funds to build what I would consider the end all be all lipo powered saw.

Have said it before elsewhere- will say it again.
Chainsaws are perfectly safe- until you add a human aspect to them- then they can still be safe, or a ticking time bomb- all depends on the particular human holding the operating handle.
Yup, SIMPLE SPOON/ FORK CAN BE MADE INTO A WEAPON, or simply a deadly instrument in an accident, if held/ used improperly, and I am sure there is (somewhere?) a recorded accident with neck/ mouth/ throat injuries, while supposedly performing simple act of eating? Drugs/ alcohol need not be involved, I can picture other circumstances, too LOL :)

Back