Chainsaw starts stops starts stops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renalds

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Poulan Pro chainsaw. It starts easily and I am able to do some cutting. It then stalls. I am able to immediately restart and go back to cutting. This cycle continues to repeat. Maybe 1 or 2 minute of run each time before stalling. I likely have to slightly "goose" the trigger during the use. Air filter looked fine. Is this likely a carburetor issue? Thanks for your time.

I am having the same problem with a small Stihl. Tried everything except making the fuel more rich, and / or replacing the carb ( cheap on ebay ).

I realize you're probably talking to two guys. In my case, if I take off the fuel vent ( small piece of hose with a real small screw in it ), it still doesn't make any difference. Stalls out or slows way down every minute or so.

Start by replacing all of the fuel line and filter stone, they love to swell/crack and suck air in or even sawdust. the fuel filter stones get soft and deteriorate internally passing the grit into the carb's jets. I have had success using non chlorinated brake kleen then compressed air to flush out the jet bores with the needles removed. I flush both directions starting from the normal direction of flow then against it. for the cost of a decent rebuild kit you can get a knockoff am carb.

Marley: Was runnling it on a brand new can of Echo's Red Max Fuel Mixture. Only a week or so old. I think my plan wil be to get one of those cheap carbs from ebay, and give that a shot. Has new plug, fuel line, tank valve, anything you can think of except the carb. Carbs are not much of a price to pay for not worrying about it.

Back