Chainsaw Storage - Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockytop38363

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. I have a farm that I get to about 2-3 times a year and I usually have to cut up trees that have fallen on our log roads and four-wheeler trails. I always use 87 octane, non-ethanol gas with Stihl 2-cycle mix, in my chainsaws (Husqvarna 350 and a Stihl MS 362) and I was wondering how long could it sit until I used it again. In my arborist saw (Stihl MS192T) I use Tru-Advantage 92 oct 50:1 fuel. I use it the least, and the Tru-Advantage said it is good for storage so I tried it (I also thought the extra octane would give a little more power. Lately, I have been dumping the fuel and running the saw out of fuel with the choke on. I just hate to waste. Can the fuel sit safely in a chainsaw for a year? How long is safe. Thanks in advance for any help.

You can always dump the old fuel in your truck with at least a half tank. It will dilute and be just fine. It will not hurt putting a gallon or two in a nearly full tank in your truck or car. Or you can kill some fire ant beds if you don't want to put it in your car or truck. But E free fuel should last a year or more.

I store my saws with canned fuel. I’ve had a couple that don’t get used as much and have gone over a year with it in them. It loses octane but doesn’t varnish. I wouldn’t trust pump gas for more than a couple of months. I’ve had that ruin 4 strokes in less than a year.

Run saws dry if you can.

I store fuel in 1-gal metal coleman fuel cans cool dark place.

I won't get into anthing else but avoid e10
I always run my saws till they run dry. The tin can in a cool dark place is about the best way to store any fuel. I use my saws regularly and only mix a gallon at a time. No time for it to go bad.

I always run my saws till they run dry. The tin can in a cool dark place is about the best way to store any fuel. I use my saws regularly and only mix a gallon at a time. No time for it to go bad.
I appreciate your reply thank you

I store my saws with canned fuel. I’ve had a couple that don’t get used as much and have gone over a year with it in them. It loses octane but doesn’t varnish. I wouldn’t trust pump gas for more than a couple of months. I’ve had that ruin 4 strokes in less than a year.
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it

I use ethanol free, I believe it’s 90 or 91 octane at the gas station near me. For saws/string trimmer/push mower I buy 2 gallons at a time, and add in Stabil storage for good measure. That says it is supposed to keep your fuel good for 24 months. Stabil also has a 24 month shelf life, so I use a sharpie to date the bottle when I open it. I also like to run equipment dry if I can’t start it monthly.

I switched to Avgas a few years ago for all my 2-cycle tools. Zero problems since with gummed up carburetors and cracked plastic fuel lines. Some things sit for months and start with a couple pulls. Ethanol fuel used to result in a lot of clogged carburetors. Never will use ethanol fuel again.

Please forgive my ignorance. I have a farm that I get to about 2-3 times a year and I usually have to cut up trees that have fallen on our log roads and four-wheeler trails. I always use 87 octane, non-ethanol gas with Stihl 2-cycle mix, in my chainsaws (Husqvarna 350 and a Stihl MS 362) and I was wondering how long could it sit until I used it again. In my arborist saw (Stihl MS192T) I use Tru-Advantage 92 oct 50:1 fuel. I use it the least, and the Tru-Advantage said it is good for storage so I tried it (I also thought the extra octane would give a little more power. Lately, I have been dumping the fuel and running the saw out of fuel with the choke on. I just hate to waste. Can the fuel sit safely in a chainsaw for a year? How long is safe. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am sure you understand...here, you are getting random opinions from random guys. Here is another:

1. I don't add anything to my gas other than 2-stroke oil.
2. The best way to store a saw is with the fuel system purged.
3. Storing gas in a steel can is better than storing it in the saw.
4. E10 = 1 month.
5. E0 pump gas and canned gas after opening = 6 months.
6. It is easy to mix 1/2 gallon at a time.

But, doing what any of the previous posters suggested will probably be fine, too.

Roy

Storing a chainsaw with fuel ,
will eventually lead to the carburetor's diaphragms degradation ( they "dry up" ) .
At least ,that's what I 've been told so.

Back