Chainsaw (window) shopping; the longest bar I ever saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Falling the longest I’ve ran is a 60” bar I have a 72 for a mill if need be.
41f4afd2e93c2bfa6ce42b29c794b862.jpg

a4351d1821da993bc5938fa6594972df.jpg

Running a bar that long will make you appreciate something like a 42 real quick, as a side note that Cannon 60 is heavier then my 72 regular belly bar. If you never had the need to run something that long it only takes one time to zap the fun right out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falling the longest I’ve ran is a 60” bar I have a 72 for a mill if need be.
41f4afd2e93c2bfa6ce42b29c794b862.jpg

a4351d1821da993bc5938fa6594972df.jpg

Running a bar that long will make you appreciate something like a 42 real quick, as a side note that Cannon 60 is heavier then my 72 regular belly bar. If you never had the need to run something that long it only takes one time to zap the fun right out of it.

I've wondered what a thing that size weighs - I have enough trouble not getting tipped down hills and such, with a "normal" sized saw - that thing looks like it weighs more than I do...

I was driving close by (one of) our nation's best chainsaw shops 'Wolfswinkel' (which would translate to English as 'wolf shop', but probably it is the family name of the founding shopkeeper), and even though it was closed because of corona, it being a non-essential store, 'n all, it was great material for window shopping. :cool:
They had a very impressive Husky with a ridiculously long bar in the window that I wanted to share.

As I get my basic certificate in February, which effectively counts as a chainsaw license, it is time to select my first saw.
The 3120XP with the four foot bar will be a bit too much, though... just a bit... 😅

Either way, when the shop is allowed to open again, I will return. 👌

HdeX2jd.jpg

To make this thread more entertaining than just a shop window photo:
What is the longest bar you ever used, does it come even close to this one, and what did you need it for?
I have used 60 & 72" bars on some of my saws for crosscut on large redgum & yellowbox.

Attachments

• DSCN4150.JPG
    DSCN4150.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • Oleo Mac 999f 60 In.JPG
    Oleo Mac 999f 60 In.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2703.JPG
    DSCN2703.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 34
  • Redgum 4aa MS880 .JPG
    Redgum 4aa MS880 .JPG
    950.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Redgum5a.JPG
    Redgum5a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
I've wondered what a thing that size weighs - I have enough trouble not getting tipped down hills and such, with a "normal" sized saw - that thing looks like it weighs more than I do...

I’ve never weighed it I’ve never wanted to but if my little light butt can run one I’d bet most guys could. In that picture I’d bet I was 110 maybe 115 pounds max the saw was a hopped up 395 I had setup to pull that long bar like that. When running long bars like that we start the cuts with a shorter bar on a smaller saw like a 36 something we’d limb with in the bigger timber.

Back in my ill-spent youth (1972-73 or there about) I worked with a guy that had a ten foot (120") bar on a Stihl 090 gear drive that he used for felling old growth redwood snags. It used to stay on his old Catapillar D8 (14A series) which it fit perfectly. With the powerhead sitting on the fuel tank, the nose of the bar was just touching the back side of the radiator. It only got used on occasion when the tree called for it, and fortunately he could build a road to the base of the tree so he didn't have to carry it. Apart from that, the longest I ever encountered was a couple of 78" bars. They weren't too uncommon in Northwest California back then.

Porosonik.
Funny but I was about to say sort of the same thing. I used to fish with a guy who lived in Fortuna, California that nominally had a burl shop. He'd go out onto the Eel and Van Duzen River beds and cut up old growth redwood tree stumps. The saw he used was mounted on an old 4wd Dodge Powerwagon with no pickup bed. He'd buy rolls of chain by the truck load and ruin them just as fast as he could make them. Those stumps had rolled around in the river bottoms for maybe 100 years and had rocks and sand everywhere.
I say nominally a burl shop because at that time (40 years ago) he'd ship containers full of burl to Australia that had weird green stuff packed into all the open spaces inside to protect the slabs. That packing material made him more money than the slabs.

Funny but I was about to say sort of the same thing. I used to fish with a guy who lived in Fortuna, California that nominally had a burl shop. He'd go out onto the Eel and Van Duzen River beds and cut up old growth redwood tree stumps. The saw he used was mounted on an old 4wd Dodge Powerwagon with no pickup bed. He'd buy rolls of chain by the truck load and ruin them just as fast as he could make them. Those stumps had rolled around in the river bottoms for maybe 100 years and had rocks and sand everywhere.
I say nominally a burl shop because at that time (40 years ago) he'd ship containers full of burl to Australia that had weird green stuff packed into all the open spaces inside to protect the slabs. That packing material made him more money than the slabs.
A bit off topic here- but I graduated from 8th. grade in Fortuna in 1968. In '72 or '73 I was stealing split stuff from the National Park at the mouth of Redwood creek near, Orick (hope the Statute of Limitations has expired by now!), when I met a tourist from LA. He offered to pay $5 a slice to cut some old root wads, and I thought "this is easier money than making fence posts", so I cut some slabs for him. Turns out he owned a shop in SoCal that made "bural" tables. For the next couple of years he would make a trip to my place about every six months and take a trailer load South. Always paid cash. Put myself through college cutting slabs for him. It's a small world! And yes- you do learn how to file a chain cutting stuff that's been rolled around in the surf with every possible crack and void packed with sand... not to mention the occasional rock that the roots had grown around....

-Porosonik.

Interesting to read that a bar of a meter+ (40 inch) is apparently nothing quite out of the ordinary.
Two meters is clearly also still well within the realm of possibilities.

It really puts modest main stream saws into proper perspective. :cool:

There were several burl shops here but they were all gone by the 80s. One of the slab cutters had an electric powered mill that had IIRC a saw bar that was 8' long. They also had an old 2 1/2 ton military truck with a winch and an A-frame they would take to the stump and hoist it onto a trailer. They came to me to find them an old fire truck to pressure wash the stumps.

I have several 60" bars these days but I have no real desire to run them. Currently I have a 42" bar on the 084 (to cut large fir rounds for target butts ala Kevin), and a 48" on the 090. If I ever get the 090G that is promised to me I will put one of those 5 footers at least for a few cuts. BTW the largest "tree" I've ever cut was a 9 1/2' redwood. ( 9 1/2 at the cut, about 3' off the ground) and believe it or not I can't remember which saw or how long of a bar.

I also have a Sabre HO63-60 bar with a Mall helper handle mounted to it. It measures 64 inches OAL. I've yet to mount it to anything due to no good reason for doing so. It might be OK for slabbing??

A bit off topic here- but I graduated from 8th. grade in Fortuna in 1968.
-Porosonik.
The guy in Fortuna I'm talking about had the burl shop named "Burl Country" you pass that's on the right of 101 as you head North. The guy is/was a real character but he could cut slabs out of anything no matter the diameter. Lots of stories but not pertinent to the OP's question. Here he is attached to a salmon in the Eel River.
Forrest Willits and Jim Potter at Singely Hole on the Eel.jpeg

Back