Chainsaw won't pull over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log

the under qualified and uninsured
Reaction score
So I bought a 2165 that essentially just needed some assembly. I put the top end on among various things and now have it all put together and went to pull the cord and it pulls very hard. Very very hard - too hard to start. Take the spark plug out and it's fine. Also took the muffler off. I put a cap full of pure two-stroke oil in the spark plug hole and it made it way worse. I very well may have put too much gasket maker on the case when I put the cylinder on (gasket delete) but I don't see why that would do this. I also may have not cleaned the rings groves very well and it may even need new rings. Who knows. With the hours I have in this chainsaw, the only thing I have accomplished is the discovery of a new way to carry a chainsaw.

Thank you much 👍

So I bought a 2165 that essentially just needed some assembly. I put the top end on among various things and now have it all put together and went to pull the cord and it pulls very hard. Very very hard - too hard to start. Take the spark plug out and it's fine. Also took the muffler off. I put a cap full of pure two-stroke oil in the spark plug hole and it made it way worse. I very well may have put too much gasket maker on the case when I put the cylinder on (gasket delete) but I don't see why that would do this. I also may have not cleaned the rings groves very well and it may even need new rings. Who knows. With the hours I have in this chainsaw, the only thing I have accomplished is the discovery of a new way to carry a chainsaw.

Thank you much 👍
Tear it down. Start over. Been there, done that :p
you'll find the problem then.

Why take it apart to only put back together dirty. Seems all was a waist of time.
Take it apart do it right this time and quit waisting our time and yours

Thank you much 👍
Hows it spin with the plug out? Nice and easy? Does it fell like it's hanging up anywhere?

If not maybe you just used so much lube that the rings are sealing so well it's making it extremely hard to pull over, if that's the case once u get it started it will clear up.

@ballisticdoughnut Apologize but I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, a little more explanation would be welcomed.
I didn't touch the flywheel, the coil is gapped with a business card between the magnets but I'll check it again. Also, how "accurate" does it have to be gapped? I cleaned everything perfectly except the ring grooves ;). I don't think that is the problem as they squeezed down fine but then again I'm clueless. It pulls pretty nice and easy with no plug. Problem being I can't pull it anywhere near hard enough to start (no I'm not old grandma) - then again I just went out and it was possibly slightly easier to pull than last night indicating that it could be too much lube? I have not measured squish and don't have any way to measure it but the porter I bought it from told me it had plenty of squish for it. Just to throw it in there when I pull it hard a few times (no plug) I can smell yamabond pretty strong like it's wearing off.
Thanks for your help everybody (to most of you haha)👍

I will do that, but while you see I installed the "ground wire", don't know if it's even the right wire or done correctly so I don't really know if it works. I just went out there and tried to pull it over with the on-off switch both on and off and it's the same. Very slow hard pull. No clue what it means but the porter said "the ears were cracked on the cylinder so I don't want to port it". I still wonder if I put too much yamabond on since I smell it a lot after I pull it over with no plug. Should I take a heat gun and try to dry up some of the extra oil or something? I super way don't want to take it apart as it took me forever since I have no clue what I am doing haha (I'm 15).
Appreciate the help

There was a guy here a couple of years ago, that showed his chainsaw rebuild, post tear-down. Almost the entire lower engine casing was full of RTV Silicone Gasket material. As is very common here on this site, many don't have a clue as how a 2-stroke engine works. Just saying!

Do you realistically figure I should tear the cylinder off and see if too much gasket maker made it’s way into the crank? Just see what I see taking it apart again? I’ll do it if that’s what you recommend. Just not looking forward to it. I have been working on a farmertec 372 I am building and it is a nightmare. The bolts either don’t go in or they just fall out. I have a oem saw with the bolts in it so I know what bolts go where. In the farmertec half the threads just don’t work. Like the bottom gas tank bolt with the av spring in it that holds the tank on. Absolutely won’t stay in. I got it for $260 on Black Friday, should I just put it up on the tradin post and try and get my money out of it or I guess I could just use it for parts over the years… I guess. I an’t payin for anyone to drill and tap this china garage. I suppose I could have my buddy weld the bolts in :laughing:

Also, I believe I may fit into the later category of your comment haha

Edit:
I got my granberg hand break and mend in the mail today. I got it because the ol logger (and great friend) I worked for, for several years used them for his chain and it always worked great for him. He showed me how to use it a few times and it hardly took him 5 minutes to make a chain with it. For mine it’s a very different story. Finally cracked a couple rivets with it but never cracked them good enough to get them out. Did a terrible job and I’m sure I spent an hour working on it. I quite working on it because the arm on the vice grips broke. Ever hear of any experiences with people using those things? I think I’ll probably buy a Oregon bench spinner and breaker for $170. Are the off brand ones decent and save 50 bucks? Haha I’m asking a stupid amount of questions.👍

From what you wrote in your first, it doesn't make any sense. You take the spark plug out and you can pull it over easily, but with the plug in you can't pull it over. Eh? It's as if your plug is acting like a piston stop. Is it? Is the plug hitting the top of the piston? That would be new one for this forum...

I sometimes work on neighbors machines, and I am amazed at how little they know about machines, tools, even reading instructions. I had to help one guy reset a circuit breaker. His table saw wasn't working, and he tried EVERYTHING, so he said. Is there power at the wall socket, I asked. Good Grief....

Sometimes I charge him for my time, saving him transportation, and dealer wages, and I'm expected to do this all for nothing, like my time, experience and efforts are of no value even though I saved him/they $100s. Yeeesh...

I don’t BELIEVE it is as it pulls over just really hard. Also I would assume that would happen if it has extremely low squish and I was told it had plenty of squish for a gasket delete. I took the muffler off just for the sake of it. Appreciate you guys sticking in with me on this

I don’t BELIEVE it is as it pulls over just really hard. Also I would assume that would happen if it has extremely low squish and I was told it had plenty of squish for a gasket delete. I took the muffler off just for the sake of it. Appreciate you guys sticking in with me on this

Just for grins, back the plug out. Does it change? Back it out some more, any change?

Good basic mechanical diagnosis is change something. It is expected of you to know what effects should occur and make a reasonable correction on what else might be happening.

Just went out and tried it. As you back the plug off it stays the same until the plug is nearly off and then it’s a little better. Pretty much stays the same until the last thread on the plug then it’s a little easier.

Just went out and tried it. As you back the plug off it stays the same until the plug is nearly off and then it’s a little better. Pretty much stays the same until the last thread on the plug then it’s a little easier.
Wow. Very hard to imagine it has to much compression. But it could be, I guess. At this point, with what you have described, I have no idea what might be going on. But you say a little better. That's a clue. I'd take it apart, and take pictures that you can share here. It is something simple cause chainsaw engines are simple.

Hey man that’s fine, super appreciate your help. I’ll probably take it apart and see what it looks like tomorrow. I’m afraid the inside of the crank mysteriously has some black goo on it :rolleyes:. Have to see. I’ll post an update of what I find.
Thanks 👍

Could he pour a decent amount of fuel into the cylinder and pull it over with the spark plug out, then get the excess fuel out of the cylinder, then put the plug in and try to pull it over again? Would that fuel get rid of too much oil on the cylinder walls / rings making crazy compression?

If it's too much sealant, wouldn't that be noticeable with the plug out as well?

Ya I don't think extra sealant has anything to do with it at this point.

I would take some 50:1 mixed gas and with the piston all the way down pour it in the exhaust port (muffler off). Then run the piston up and turn the saw over letting the gas run up the cylinder walls to the bottom of the rings. After that pull it over a couple of times to try and pump some of the fuel out, then just let it sit there with the piston at BDC for awhile say 30 mins. When you go back out take a long lighter with you and stick it in the exhaust port and light it, if it pops then it burned off the rest of the gas and if it doesn't it's gone anyways.

Now reassemble everything and try and start it. any change? let us know.

Latest posts

Back