Chainsaws are out to get me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I ain't nuts or paranoid. They talk. I heard em. "See that big moron? He thinks he's a lumberjack. Let's show him who's the boss" and the rest is my tragic history with these plotting beasts.
Most recently, just as I thought she was going to purr forever, my dearly beloved 044 starts nice, runs nice, for 5 minutes, hesitates, comes back, coughs, comes back, coughs, comes back, dies. Fresh fuel. The best Stihl additive. Clean filter. Plug--light brown. Let her cool down for half an hour. Nothing. Remove plug and pull 20 times on starter rope in case she flooded. Nuthin.

A small 2" long rubber line serves as a vent with a very small screw in the open end. Could it be she is blocking air flow and needs a minor adjustment? I'm hoping against hope she don't blow up on me tomorrow.

Any help much appreciated!

I ain't nuts or paranoid. They talk. I heard em. "See that big moron? He thinks he's a lumberjack. Let's show him who's the boss" and the rest is my tragic history with these plotting beasts.
Most recently, just as I thought she was going to purr forever, my dearly beloved 044 starts nice, runs nice, for 5 minutes, hesitates, comes back, coughs, comes back, coughs, comes back, dies. Fresh fuel. The best Stihl additive. Clean filter. Plug--light brown. Let her cool down for half an hour. Nothing. Remove plug and pull 20 times on starter rope in case she flooded. Nuthin.

A small 2" long rubber line serves as a vent with a very small screw in the open end. Could it be she is blocking air flow and needs a minor adjustment? I'm hoping against hope she don't blow up on me tomorrow.

Any help much appreciated!
Just pull the muffler if the piston is ok no scoring
Just refresh the fuel system
New carb kit,fuel line and tank vent
I wouldn't risk the topend
On an increasingly hard to find parts for saw.

Before you throw money away into the fuel system, check for spark as soon as it dies. That is a classic symptom of a coil going bad, dies out as coil heats up.

To be on the safe side as mentioned have a look at the piston through muffler. If you have spark and piston looks O.K., then look at fuel system/leaks.

The tank vent is just fuel line with a "grub" screw (sometimes 2) that serves as the check valve. If you replace the line, push the screws in, don't screw them, they'll thread into the tubing and won't vent if you do. I've not had too many clog, usually the line disintegrates before that and it leaks fuel.

Before you throw money away into the fuel system, check for spark as soon as it dies. That is a classic symptom of a coil going bad, dies out as coil heats up.

To be on the safe side as mentioned have a look at the piston through muffler. If you have spark and piston looks O.K., then look at fuel system/leaks.

The tank vent is just fuel line with a "grub" screw (sometimes 2) that serves as the check valve. If you replace the line, push the screws in, don't screw them, they'll thread into the tubing and won't vent if you do. I've not had too many clog, usually the line disintegrates before that and it leaks fuel.
Thanks much. Will follow your directions as best I can. I can read, enjoy and discuss Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky easily and joyfully.
Tell me how to check for spark on a chainsaw and I burn down my house, usually.

Latest posts

Back