Chainsaws, recalls, synthetic 2 cycle oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man114

Reaction score
I currently own Craftsman 46cc 18 inch, 38cc 16 inch, McCulloch Pro Mac 440vc (I call this "the professsional"), a more modern 16 inch Mccullouch and a vintage one I haven't touched but needs some restore work.

I've been messing around with this consumer grade stuff, but synthetic 2 cycle oil is a must. All of these smoothly idle when adjusted properly with synthetic.

The 16 inch Poulan sourced Craftsman was garbage, but a new chain and synthetic 2 cycle oil, it never stalls and runs fine. Cut 3 trees this afternoon.

The 18 inch 46 CC I bought late last summer may have been recalled , but I've literally cut dozens of cords of wood with it. It may have been recalled, I haven't checked, I may even take the risks, that thing purrs and it cuts like nothing.

I think a sharp chain, adjusted carb and synthetic 2 cycle oil make more difference than the brand. That 18 inch Craftsman has cut more trees than you could imagine for the price.

I think it's mostly maintenance, knowledge and understanding of the machine it probably makes more difference than the brand on the saw.

If you maintain your saw, either Pro or Home Owner & use a realistic fuel mix ratio, carb set up correctly They should perform as expected. The use of synthetic oil is a personal thing they will perform equally well on semi synthetic or castor based but if you think synthetic is a must carry on it certainly will not harm

I have a Poulan pro I use for limbing and a 4218 Craftsman(Poulan) that I did a mild muff mod on both and I use them alot especially the pro. I put a 14 inch bar on it and it does a great job, its lite and nimble. I have about $100 in the pair and if I drop a tree or run over them , no big deal. I do love my Dolmar and 028s though and use them on the bigger stuff.

Latest posts

Back