Champion 25 Ton Log Splitter carburetor adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had this splitter since July 2017. It has been a bullet proof machine, but is starting to require some attention.

The throttle, since new only goes 1/2 ways to full throttle. Or so it appears with lots of travel left to the lever. Okay, so the carb is maxed out, yet the plastic "stop" allows more. Perhaps there is an adjustment on the carbs body, but it always sounded like it was running at full throttle so I never looked into it.

Until this morning. The splitter was not holding max speed. The lever was the same as always, but the vibration of the machine was allowing the throttle lever to back off full, just a wee bit, but noticeable. I got out a box wrench and tightened the pivot bolt/nut and that problem is now solve. But in look at it all I could see there was a screw to let the lever have more play. I only increased the throw a 1/2 a turn and the engine is definitely faster now. Hmmmmmm....

I don't have a means to measure the RPMs, and I don't know what the RPMs ought to be. I'm wondering is my 25 Ton capable of being a 27 Ton by increasing the engine speed? Or I do I risk overdriving the hydraulic pump? Anybody know about increasing the speed of the engine -- benefits or cautions?

I've had this splitter since July 2017. It has been a bullet proof machine, but is starting to require some attention.

The throttle, since new only goes 1/2 ways to full throttle. Or so it appears with lots of travel left to the lever. Okay, so the carb is maxed out, yet the plastic "stop" allows more. Perhaps there is an adjustment on the carbs body, but it always sounded like it was running at full throttle so I never looked into it.

Until this morning. The splitter was not holding max speed. The lever was the same as always, but the vibration of the machine was allowing the throttle lever to back off full, just a wee bit, but noticeable. I got out a box wrench and tightened the pivot bolt/nut and that problem is now solve. But in look at it all I could see there was a screw to let the lever have more play. I only increased the throw a 1/2 a turn and the engine is definitely faster now. Hmmmmmm....

I don't have a means to measure the RPMs, and I don't know what the RPMs ought to be. I'm wondering is my 25 Ton capable of being a 27 Ton by increasing the engine speed? Or I do I risk overdriving the hydraulic pump? Anybody know about increasing the speed of the engine -- benefits or cautions?
I would think the Governor would limit your rpms regardless of how far your throttle lever is moved. Potential issue with over-rpm is catastrophic failure at worst, wasted fuel, or some other unexpected damage.
I've never used one but I've been toying with getting a noncontact rpm meter for about $15.

Latest posts

Back