Champion 25Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally ordered one. This morning, I was hand splitting with the 10lbs sledge and my 2 wedges and thought; this not getting any easier.

I have been looking at this one for over a year. Cabelas was selling this for $1199 for the longest time which included shipping. Last time I checked, no longer with free shipping. :(

Amazon for prime members is now selling for $1029 with free shipping. OMG!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Pow...+100251+25+Ton+Full+Beam+Towable+Log+Splitter

Should be here on the 26th. O'Boy!!!!! :D

100251_buty_withcatchers_12-5-14_hi-res.jpg

A question? How do they rate the tonnage? I figured it would be directly related to the engine size. A couple of my neighbors are using the Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton splitter which has a 196cc engine. This Champion splitter runs a 224cc engine, yet is rated for less tonnage.

Tonnage really has nothing to do with engine size (other than needing enough engine to drive the pump). Tonnage would be the max output PSI of the pump times the area of the cylinder. For example, a 4" cylinder has 12.5" of area. To attain 25 tons it would need to operate at 4,000 psi. Most splitters run at 2,500 to (maybe) 3,000 psi. It would take a 5" cylinder at a little over 2,500 to get 25 tons.

In my experience, spltter tonnage ratings seem to be way overstated. Doesn't say you won't be happy and productive with the splitter you've ordered, just doubt you'll actually get 25 tons of force (or that your neighbors are actually getting 27 tons). All comes down to cylinder diameter and output psi of the pump.

Does tonnage really mean anything though I split everything with a 4 ton splitter and it doesn't struggle even in hardwood. What I want is more speed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Does tonnage really mean anything though I split everything with a 4 ton splitter and it doesn't struggle even in hardwood. What I want is more speed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Speed is a function of the volume of fluid moved. Increase the pump GPM (which might require a larger engine to drive it) and the cycle speed will increase.

As the only 4 ton splitters I'm aware of are the small electric units which are an integrated unit, I'm not so sure there is any way to increase the size of the pump.

How are you liking it?

I'm buying one from Blain's farm and fleet when they call back. They have one left in stock at my local store. They are letting me have it for 825.00 out the door. Brand new with a two year limited warranty. 25 ton. 6.5hp motor

I finally ordered one. This morning, I was hand splitting with the 10lbs sledge and my 2 wedges and thought; this not getting any easier.

I have been looking at this one for over a year. Cabelas was selling this for $1199 for the longest time which included shipping. Last time I checked, no longer with free shipping. :(

Amazon for prime members is now selling for $1029 with free shipping. OMG!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Pow...+100251+25+Ton+Full+Beam+Towable+Log+Splitter

Should be here on the 26th. O'Boy!!!!! :D

100251_buty_withcatchers_12-5-14_hi-res.jpg

Your only problem is that you waited so long before pulling the trigger.

I have the 27 ton spliter and the only problem I had is there was not a vent hole in the fill cap for hydraulic tank which made it leak by the pump. enjoy

I have the 27 ton spliter and the only problem I had is there was not a vent hole in the fill cap for hydraulic tank which made it leak by the pump. enjoy

On that thought, make sure the vent hole does not let water in the oil tank if it's left outside. Cover it or replace it with a water proof vent cap.

Back