Champion 27 ton log splitter ram goes forward even when trying to retract.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangefolk22

Reaction score
I have a couple year old Champion 27 ton log splitter. It was working fine then all of sudden the ram would only go forward, even when trying to retract. I've replaced the Control Valve and the Gear Pump. the last time I put it all back together it worked as it should for for 2 time and then I heard a small pop and it's back to only going forward. I'm wondering in the seals in the Cylinder are bad and if so how you get the Cylinder apart as it seems to be welded

if the packing in the cylinder is bad it will allow the oil to bypass and make the cylinder do weird things.
If its a welded cylinder you will have to cut the welds to get the cylinder apart.unless you have a lathe at home you best bet would be to take it to a machine shop and have them rebuild it as they will have the proper tooling to get the cylinder apart

Also you might consider getting a new cylinder as a lot of parts are either on back order or no longer available so packing for you cylinder may not even be avaliable

Strange folk I ran into the same issue. Did you you have any luck with yours, what did you do for repairs? New cylinder or rebuild if rebuild what kit did you use? Thanks!

Either something weird in the control valve spool, or the piston may have unscrewed from the rod. Then whichever side to put pressure on it will go rod extend. You might try swapping the hoses at the cylinder see if the problem changes direction. ThatI would point it to the spool valve.

Kevin,

Thanks for the the reply! I already replaced the spool due to other feedback, no luck. I am hoping to crack open the cylinder in the next couple days to see if it could be the piston, fingers crossed.

Simple way to tell if the cylinder is bypassing is to extend it all the way,shut off the machine, remove the line from the rod end of the cylinder, restart the machine and engage the lever to extend again. If oil shoots out of the cylinder the packing is screwed. I usually stick an old hose on the fitting and put it and the splitter hose into a bucket to contain the mess. If the packing is good the machine should go over relief and nothing come out of the cylinder.It's important to make sure the cylinder is extended all the way before removing the hose or the remaining oil in the tube will come out when the cylinder is actuated on startup.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Finally got around to opening it up this morning, found the bolt on the back of the rod had fallen off.

Replaced the seals, put it back together and works like new!

AAE16339-FB6A-4FEF-9C59-07A58F29C259.jpeg

Latest posts

Back