Charge for removing, not grinding, stumps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not grinding stumps here. Removing the stumps of plenty of trees that got knocked over by severe winds. Avg. trunk size: 14". Average width of root ball? About 4' with lots of dirt and rocks locked into the roots.

Have a customer and a very possible customer clamoring to get this done on well wooded mountain lots with a cabin on them.

I have an all terrain forklift and skid steer with large equipment trailer or large dump trailer. I feel well equipped for the job. But no idea what to charge. I don't yet know what the local dump will charge to dispose of a large trailer load (36'), or two, full of stumps.

I feel pretty stupid with "estimate book" in hand and saying " Right now I have no idea what stump removal and disposal charges are. I'd be fine with being on the cheaper side with my first job of disposing of stumps full of dirt and rocks. What to charge? What might be about average?

Then I'll have a hole in the ground where the stump was. One customer wanted the stump put back in the hole. I said "When you figure out a good way to do that then let me know". Would be tough with the limbs hanging out. Dump fill dirt in the holes and level a bit I would guess. Overall - a significant chore to do it right.

I'd say it's a job for an excavator with a thumb or grab bucket... Cut the barrel off then give the root ball a good knocking about to get most the dirt off. Most cost effective way to dump them then would be find somewhere they can go on a burn pile or in hole in a paddock but that's not always practical. Wouldn't have a clue what your local dump would charge but often "green waste" will be less than general refuse

In the Colorado mountains north of you, stumps are of no concern. Stump grinding is an in-town, down on the plains, thing. You'd be trying to grind stone as much as stump if you attempted it up here.

Cut the stump off close to the ground, and call it good. Flush-cut is the terminology. Anyone who feels the need to do more is bringing a suburban mindset to the woods.

If your customer absolutely demands such work, price it by the hour. Figure out what your time and hauling and disposal costs are, then proceed from there.

Charge what you want to earn for a day with customer paying all dump fees. Ditto for filling in the holes, charge what you want to earn for the day and add in fill soil expenses.

Basically time and materials.

Do you clients have a place that needs fill?

If so maybe you could save them dump fees and leave the root balls on site. It would save you time, too.

And, yes, pull stumps and you'll be leaving a lot of messy holes in the ground.

I agree

Id leave them. Them big holes unless filled are dangerous

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

The trees are lying on the ground now. The stumps are about 80% exposed and look terrible with the roots sticking into the air.

I tend to be really fast. Charging by the hour often backfires badly. If I had to guess right now, I'd guess maybe $175/stump plus dump fees for getting rid of the stump. As for filling in the holes? That could be done in 5 minutes or 30 minutes depending on the "finish".
One customer has a dump trailer, they could fill in their holes. The other customer is in her 70's and insisted on paying me up front - and then some. Arguing with her was pointless. Guess I'll just do a super nice job and then some.

I removed this stump with the loader, and used the loader to refill the hole. It didn’t take long, because the stump was partially wrenched out when the tree came down. This land will be leveled and used later, so the stumps need to come out. The stumps off in the woods can stay there. Has the tree already been cut away from the stump and removed? If so, it‘s not a lot of time to complete.

EAA14F47-EF1D-456A-AF5A-BE9E62E7AC56.jpeg
64F31733-FE6A-4757-8C8E-68F7148D7FBC.jpeg

About twenty years ago a mini tornado hit my water acsess only lake cabin seven good size jack pine were laid flat on the ground. I left about a 12 foot long stub with roots attached and pulled the tree back straight up into its original hole then I sawed it off close to the ground a bit of raking and it looks as though it never happened.
Kash

I removed this stump with the loader, and used the loader to refill the hole. It didn’t take long, because the stump was partially wrenched out when the tree came down. This land will be leveled and used later, so the stumps need to come out. The stumps off in the woods can stay there. Has the tree already been cut away from the stump and removed? If so, it‘s not a lot of time to complete.

View attachment 955067
View attachment 955068
The customers have a good chainsaw and fireplaces in both homes. I just need to dispose of the stumps. They typically have ~ 80% of the roots already exposed to the air. But the other 20% is still "fighting for the tree's life".

Around here it's $150 per 10 wheeler load to dump stumps. I think I'd be reluctant to pull stumps with the forklift but it may be nice for loading out. I've pulled plenty of stumps with a skid steer and it's something I really try to avoid, I believe it puts a ton of uneven stress on the machine. I only do it when I feel it's not worth mobilizing an excavator to the job. Filling in the holes is the gravy work that I wouldn't give up.

Around here it's $150 per 10 wheeler load to dump stumps. I think I'd be reluctant to pull stumps with the forklift but it may be nice for loading out. I've pulled plenty of stumps with a skid steer and it's something I really try to avoid, I believe it puts a ton of uneven stress on the machine. I only do it when I feel it's not worth mobilizing an excavator to the job. Filling in the holes is the gravy work that I wouldn't give up.
Guessing the forklift is a lot closer to being made for that type of work - heavy lifting. Plus the forklift costs 1/6th as much.
I don't even own a good pic of an excavator. Or a loader.

18 stumps on one lot. Guessing maybe 30 on the other.
I have a large dump trailer that holds 5 cords. Should be good for loading stumps and especially for unloading stumps.

View attachment 955067
View attachment 955068
That's a sweet beast of a loader! Is that CARB exempt?

Back