cheap saws, foam filters, fine dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the thin KN filter oil for now, will try thicker stuff if that fails. Lots of purpose made foam filter oil choices, might be able to get some locally. If that fails, tacky bar oil is worth a try, always some of that around.

Mods on the saw so far are to the muffler and just port matching the intake. AM cylinder is stock, but I was thinking of raising the exhaust port a bit and dropping the intake, and maybe a bigger carb, the stock one is quite small. Still, power is pretty respectable for it's displacement, and it's picking up revs as it breaks in.
Wonder if the vibration issue is from those massive pork chops on the crankshaft, and if drilling them would balance the assembly better. The crankshaft from a 141 looks identical with the exception of smaller counter weights, maybe that one would fit.
This is an early version, non strato. Had a stock strato pp 4218a, the wild thing would put it to shame power wise, the muffler mod no doubt makes a big difference.

It's a Wild Thang, run it till it blows. 10 min with it and yer hands go to sleep for an hr! It'll die long before you wear it out with fine dust, just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
Its a machine with a universal value of under $100. Who cares what finally destroys it, beside its own inherent lack of build quality.....When was the last time you changed the oil on your push mower........same thing.

I'm a fellow Canuck, who has left the dark side for better equip't.

What is your preferred oil for wetting out a foam filter? I have a Wild thing with a MM and AM cylinder I'm thrashing to see what I can get out of it performance wise, and fines are getting past the filter. Use thick oil? Thin? Certain types? Would like to eliminate anything getting through without impairing air flow.
Cut a fair amount of very dry elm(?) saturday, lots of fine dust everywhere, a sharp chain does not help here.

View attachment 1030624View attachment 1030625
Poulan under any name seems to have sucky worthless foam air filters, which may account for the 50-hour EPA rating vs Pro saws rated in Hundreds of hours?

Wild things (and other off shoots) are soooo lean out of the box they barely run. Richen one even a little and you extended the life by years. And they run much better.

Back