Chimney pipe size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IthacaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am changing to a different wood stove in my detached garage/workshop. New stove is 6" and I already have 8'' tripple wall system from ceiling to cap is about 7'. Should I just connect the 6'' to the 8'' ,or run the 6'' black pipe up through the 8'' tripple wall even with outlet of the 8'' ?

I am changing to a different wood stove in my detached garage/workshop. New stove is 6" and I already have 8'' tripple wall system from ceiling to cap is about 7'. Should I just connect the 6'' to the 8'' ,or run the 6'' black pipe up through the 8'' tripple wall even with outlet of the 8'' ?
For sure to continue with 6'' is proper. The 8'' will not draw as well as the 6''. If the pipe is too large the heat is dissipated more cause the gases and air to be eddying more. Or in other words the exhaust will just stagnate in the flue. I have had the same issue so maybe just add black pipe down to the next 6'' section Thanks

I have an 9” stove with 2 90 degree elbows into a 13” fired clay tile surrounded by brick. Stove is in basement and there might be 4-5 feet in attic and another 5’ above roof. Chimney is in about center of house, about 35’ or so. Draft is very good but my house isn’t exactly air tight. Stove has a cat convert and I can get a blow torch like fire if I want. With yours being insulated I wouldn’t think you’d have a problem

Update, new stove is drafting good. I have had 3 fires now and new pipe is broke in and not smoking or stinking like paint. I found an Englander stove ,the same as I have in the house to replace the double barrel I made about 15 yrs ago. The barrel held up good as I lined the bottom with refractory brick and still has paint on the bottom of barrel. I just could not trust it to not tend to it every 1/2 hour , the slightest air adjustment would go from overheating the flue pipe to putting the fire out. Now I can get the new stove up to temp ,fill it up, and it will go for 8 hours without adjusting air. Pics of new and old.IMG_1907.jpgIMG_1874.jpg

Back