Chinese Alaskan mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhandagain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve heard these are junk? Should I replace all the bolts, or what improvements would y’all make?

I’ll be running a ms070 clone with 42 inch bar. I’ve got a 34 to 36 inch oak I’ll be working on.

Attachments

• 4FB8177A-F08F-4DA0-B036-D7EC04984C84.jpeg
    4FB8177A-F08F-4DA0-B036-D7EC04984C84.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
Specific issues I found with mine...
Handle was the wrong shape & put pressure on the bracing bar (had to make a new one).
Bolt heads didn't conform to the aluminium channel causing it to deform (an issue when you want to change bar lengths).
Height gauges on each end were different by about 1/8".
U bolt threads didn't last long & the deep nuts that came on them were an odd size (not metric or imperial, half way between 3/8" & 7/16" or 10mm & 11mm).
Works ok now all that's been addressed

Specific issues I found with mine...
Handle was the wrong shape & put pressure on the bracing bar (had to make a new one).
Bolt heads didn't conform to the aluminium channel causing it to deform (an issue when you want to change bar lengths).
Height gauges on each end were different by about 1/8".
U bolt threads didn't last long & the deep nuts that came on them were an odd size (not metric or imperial, half way between 3/8" & 7/16" or 10mm & 11mm).
Works ok now all that's been addressed
Ive had similar experience with my cheapy Alaskan mill. I don't use it enough to justify the cost of a "good" one, and it's short falls are easily remedied. I just set my depth with a tape measure and get at it. The hardware was replaced right out if the gate. Didn't have handle alignment issues with mine.

I had issues with the name brand one so I’d say try your luck. As said above if you are the least bit mechanically minded you’ll be able to overcome most issues.

Latest posts

Back