Chinese carbs... my experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both kits made in china(Stihl kits are also made in China just cost more then $3 and stuck in additional bag marked Stihl) I stuck a Amazon carb on a customers poulan and it ran fine with tuning I also put an Amazon carb on my Stihl km56rc kombi tool and it runs perfectly. I haven’t had an issue so far.

I have had good luck with Hipa or Aisen replacements. My last Zama made in china worked also. I have found that they always start the engine but need to be tweaked as expected. Most seem to run a little rough at the upper end and sometimes don't have as smooth throttle response as the original. But they sure are cheap and convenient. On the other hand any equipment used for work income gets only OEM when available.

Thats easier said then done. First im not paying an extra $0.50 -1.00 per gallon for gas thats going to get used up within a month, let alone drive way out of my way to buy it. Biggest issues is letting equipment sit. Not our fault if a customer/friend doesn't drain fuel out/use a stabilizer or follow any sort of long term storage procedures.
When I was using lots of mix in my business, I used Stabil 360 Marine in regular gasoline. It’s made to neutralize ethanol in boats that sit and I can say in the 5 years I used it daily, not a single plugged carb (even on tools that were used infrequently). A large bottle treats 280 gallons so that $20 saves aprox $280 in fuel (around here, ethanol free is $1 more than regular)

I still use it in the fuel for the mower and ATV. I spend a few bucks more for 90 octane ethanol free for 2 cycle mix but I now only use maybe 3 gallons per summer instead of per week.

I ran my trimmer today with its Chinese carb. It had not been running since August or so. Started right up and runs perfectly. I ran the MS250 as well, not a hiccup. 🤷🏼‍♂️

When I was using lots of mix in my business, I used Stabil 360 Marine in regular gasoline. It’s made to neutralize ethanol in boats that sit and I can say in the 5 years I used it daily, not a single plugged carb (even on tools that were used infrequently). A large bottle treats 280 gallons so that $20 saves aprox $280 in fuel (around here, ethanol free is $1 more than regular)

I still use it in the fuel for the mower and ATV. I spend a few bucks more for 90 octane ethanol free for 2 cycle mix but I now only use maybe 3 gallons per summer instead of per week.

I ran my trimmer today with its Chinese carb. It had not been running since August or so. Started right up and runs perfectly. I ran the MS250 as well, not a hiccup. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I used to use stabil marine. I've since switched to pri-g and pri-d. I personally don't have issues with the ethanol laced gas. It's also a chore to get non ethanol, there's nothing thats close or convenient. I will not run any leaded fuel so that excludes av-gas. Even if it wasn't leaded the extra in price would exclude it. I just don't have carb issues. Most the issues I see are from friends, family or neighbors that don't take any care of their equipment.

Ethanol rots rubber parts and as it evaporates it leaves behind a thick brown goo. If run daily a carb probably won’t have a problem until a rubber part fails. When you let one sit a few days, especially in hot weather, sludge forms. I can’t remember all of the push mowers and the like I have gotten beside the road that had the main jet plugged with goo from ethanol. A quick poke and spray will usually get em running.

Carburetors and fuel get blamed for a lot of issues. I have seen a lot of dirt in the gas tanks and fixed a lot of machines. Bought a used garden tractor would always hydro lock had brand new carburetor. Took the fuel tank out so much dirt. You can say the is a fuel filter should take care of that. They get overwhelmed very fast.

I have bought a few. My FS55R trimmer which has untold hours on it has one now and it runs better than ever. The factory one had a weird issue I couldn’t seem to fix after 2 kits. The BG55 blower still has the factory carb, bought both these tools at same time 🤷🏼‍♂️

The first carb I bought for the trimmer was junk and went back. Different brand is perfect. Carb, line, air filter and fuel filter for $15 🤯

My MS250 had the hot start issue that plagues those saws. Chinese carb was recommended to me as a fix and it absolutely fixed it. Perfect in every way.

My Husqvarna 359 wore one a while til I could mod the factory 199 carb. It didn’t run perfect and the screws seemed to lack effect. Factory one is modded and back on it now.

It’s a roll of the dice. Some are crap, some are a fantastic bargain.
not to derail the Chinese carb conversation, but what mods did you do to your 359 carb? I have the same carb on mine, seems fine, bur would like to know what you had to do to yours, Thanks, David

Most people who buy the chicom carbs figure out pretty quickly they’re not worth it. When you factor in your time and money it becomes clear OEM is the way to go. Even used carbs are in most cases perfectly useable after a rebuild.
Takes me about 5 min to change fuel lines and carb in most saws/trimmers some are a bit more difficult though.

I have bought a few aftermarket carbs for Toro mowers without issues except they don't have a replaceable needle seat as the oem had. However with more Asian sourcing of name brand power equipment Chinese carbs maybe OEM original carbs. I bought a Chinese carb for a TS420 concrete saw and it worked fine,
I would rebuild OEM carbs but how do you fix the internal check valves. I had a Husky 970 concrete saw with a bad fuel inlet check valve and OEM carb was well over $130. I couldn't get a aftermarket carb so I had to cut up a old carb to remove the brass check valve plug and then drilled out the bad valve and pressed in the new valve.

I've used well over 100 knockoff amazon carbs for everything from weedeaters to lawn tractors and tillers, I never order just 1..its a minimum of two and be prepared to rejet, adjust, swap throttle plates, linkages, cut threads or whatever else is halfazzed. I try to keep a carb kit or three on hand for every saw I own plus a decent assortment of them for anything that hits my bench. The issue is other folks opening their carb and feking up the body/check valves with compressed air and wire or ruin the needles/seats over tightening them. People are weird,they buy something for 1,000+ dollars but balk at a new oem carb price+ hoses/filter and labor but if you say the knockoff carb is 30 bucks they get excited to spend the same amount minus 50-70 bucks .

That's a good question, I won't ever throw away a OEM carb if there's any chance of saving it but amazon carbs are real convenient.
I agree. I use to think a new carb priced the same as a rebuild kit was the way to go. But after years of hit and miss (honestly mostly hit) I’ve decided a rebuild kit is better. Rebuilt 3 snowmobile carbs this summer. All turned out great. Bought a Chinese carb for my snowblower and it runs better but it’s not quite there if you know what I mean. I did save the oem and will rebuild next summer.

Most people who buy the chicom carbs figure out pretty quickly they’re not worth it. When you factor in your time and money it becomes clear OEM is the way to go. Even used carbs are in most cases perfectly useable after a rebuild.
I’ve never had a rebuilt carb work right.

If the carb has both a low speed and high speed needle that you can take out and squirt some carb cleaner through them you can fix them pretty well. Just make sure the cleaner is coming out through the corresponding orifices in the barrel. If it has fixed jets probably more sensible to find the nearest garbage can.

If the carb has both a low speed and high speed needle that you can take out and squirt some carb cleaner through them you can fix them pretty well. Just make sure the cleaner is coming out through the corresponding orifices in the barrel. If it has fixed jets probably more sensible to find the nearest garbage can.
My chinkasaw G372 just flat quit running one day took the carb apart and couldn’t see anything wrong. No fuel would pass to the interior or the carb stemming from casting flash floating around in a place I couldn’t remove it from. Replaced it with another carb from Farmertec and it runs better than ever. I’d say from all my and others experiences that they’re probably worth it for $15.

I will only buy a chinese knock off if there is no OEM carb available. I have purchased a number of them through Amazon and they are inconsistant. If you get a bad one, just return it for a refund. It is not your fault that the item was junk. Its easy and you get a FULL refund. No paying for restocking fees or return shipping. I make it a point to specifically list the problem on the return invoice. I have bought a number of things on ebay, both new and used, that turned out to be junk. Return shipping and restocking eat up a lot of the refund.

Latest posts

Back