Chinsaw boots - what do you wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnbug

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to fireplace wood burning. Just purchased a 562xp and now buying PPE. I'm wondering what everyone is using for chainsaw boots. Looked up many models that have been mentioned in old posts but thry have been discontinued.

I'm considering HAIX but many have said the sole begins to separate from the boot. I'm not going to be using these hard-core, so I wouldn't experience this within the warranty period. Have they addressed this issue?

What is everyone wearing? Would like to keep it in at or below the Haix prices.

Hi,

I'm new to fireplace wood burning. Just purchased a 562xp and now buying PPE. I'm wondering what everyone is using for chainsaw boots. Looked up many models that have been mentioned in old posts but thry have been discontinued.

I'm considering HAIX but many have said the sole begins to separate from the boot. I'm not going to be using these hardware so I wouldn't experience this within the warranty period. Have thry addressed this issue?

I have used Haix I think they are called Blue Ridge, still wear my original pair now probably 15 years old, I bought another couple of pairs and still not worn them, they are comfy and did not need breaking in. The Haix boots that fell apart were the patrol boot, I had a pair but suddenly soles just started to come apart.
So many types out there, but I am more than happy with Haix.
I do have another pair of Haix heavy duty boots used by riot teams and rescue and never had a problem.

For me it depends on what I'm doing... felling and bucking in the woods I generally wear composite toe Georgia Logger boots. If I'm cutting up fallen stuff, brush, or bucking in "the yard" I generally wear my Nick's Builder Pro boots. Why different boots? If there is a chance of dropping something significant on my feet I want the hard toe protection. If there is no risk of anything significant falling on my feet I prefer the fit and support of the Nick's. I'm not too concerned about cutting the front of my feet but I am concerned about my legs and ankles so I wear chainsaw pants that are long enough to cover the top of the vamp in the front and the heel counter in the back.

The Georgia boots failed me miserably from a support perspective. Below is a photo of my foot and ankle after my ankle folded over in the Georgia boots when the embankment gave way under me. The Nick's offer much better ankle support... and are far superior boots all the way around. BTW, the ankle was broken and the foot and ankle swelled up to probably double the normal size.

Ankle.gif

For me it depends on what I'm doing... felling and bucking in the woods I generally wear composite toe Georgia Logger boots. If I'm cutting up fallen stuff, brush, or bucking in "the yard" I generally wear my Nick's Builder Pro boots. Why different boots? If there is a chance of dropping something significant on my feet I want the hard toe protection. If there is no risk of anything significant falling on my feet I prefer the fit and support of the Nick's. I'm not too concerned about cutting the front of my feet but I am concerned about my legs and ankles so I wear chainsaw pants that are long enough to cover the top of the vamp in the front and the heel counter in the back.

The Georgia boots failed me miserably from a support perspective. Below is a photo of my foot and ankle after my ankle folded over in the Georgia boots when the embankment gave way under me. The Nick's offer much better ankle support... and are far superior boots all the way around. BTW, the ankle was broken and the foot and ankle swelled up to probably double the normal size.

View attachment 1037577
I know from experience that your foot HURT really bad then.

Hi,

I'm considering HAIX but many have said the sole begins to separate from the boot. I'm not going to be using these hard-core, so I wouldn't experience this within the warranty period. Have they addressed this issue?

1. Fixing to get flamed here for sure but I've heated with wood only since 1995. I wear crocks and shorts. 2. Boot soles are mostly glued on. When I worked first thing I did with a new pair of boots was take them to a cobbler and have the soles sewed on.

1. Fixing to get flamed here for sure but I've heated with wood only since 1995. I wear crocks and shorts. 2. Boot soles are mostly glued on. When I worked first thing I did with a new pair of boots was take them to a cobbler and have the soles sewed on.
I had $375 Filson boots that were glued only and the soles came loose from the uppers... My Nick's soles are glued, sewn and screwed at the factory!

Whites if you can afford them. The Georgia Logger boots don't fit me well to tough to break in. Carolina holdup for me better than the Georgia I think are better boot for the price range. In the PNW Whites are good boots.

Burnbug,
Are you looking at chainsaw protection for your feet or more something durable all purpose? I have had a lot of luck with the Haix XR200 forestry boots. They are comfy after breaking in and also offer a toe box with chainsaw protection material under the leather. Mine are gen 1 and are glued and sewn.

You can spend a lot on good chainsaw boots. I chose not to. I just buy the Caterpillar brand. Not comfortable for all-day use, but they offer good protection.

I know from experience that your foot HURT really bad then.
My cutting partner hauled me up the embankment with a tow strap. This as the embankment was so steep and loose that I couldn't crawl up it and I certainly couldn't walk. He put me in the bed of the truck... On the way to my house he stopped along the road. I lifted myself up to see him going to a big pile of stuff someone had at the curb. I'm thinking to myself "This is a hell of a time to be picking the trash..." He came back with crutches! LOL The orthopedic surgeon put me in a cam boot and that was it... He said it was a non-displaced fracture and as long as I kept weight off it it should heal fine. Though it was broken it was mostly a bad sprain that caused the swelling, discoloration and pain.

That was another thing on my list of things not to do again. It also led me to buy the all leather, hand lasted, Nick's boots. I went with the build to fit and trial boot process. They fit me very well and I don't have the rubbing problems other boots gave me. In the photo you can see the stitching and screws that, in addition to glue, hold the soles on. Nick's is another of the PNW boot companies... Likely my last work boot purchase as with a couple resoles and a rebuild my clock will stop before they do!

Nicks.gif

I use Carolina Linesmen boots for firewooding and general all-around HD work - I don't like the higher heel/sole on logging-specific ones. I also prefer the mid-height version as a balance between ankle support & mobility

If you don't mind spending big money, the Nick's are a really good choice. I've got a pair of Nick's Hotshots, a pair of White's Smoke jumpers, and my old pair of White's that have been rebuilt by Nick's. IMO, the White's aren't the same quality as they used to be, the leather on my Nick's is thicker and of a nicer quality.

As much as I love my Nick's, they are an expensive boot. I could see how the price could be a tough pill to swallow if for occasional use.

Mine aren't chainsaw specific and have no safety toe. IMO the safety comes from that they are really good on rough terrain. Logger heals aren't for everyone, but I like them on steep hills, particularly hiking uphill.

My cutting partner hauled me up the embankment with a tow strap. This as the embankment was so steep and loose that I couldn't crawl up it and I certainly couldn't walk. He put in the bed of the truck... On the way to my house he stopped along the road. I lifted myself up to see him going to a big pile of stuff someone had at the curb. I'm thinking to myself "This is a hell of a time to be picking the trash..." He came back with crutches! LOL The orthopedic surgeon put me in a cam boot and that was it... He said it was a non-displaced fracture and as long as I kept weight off it it should heal fine. Though it was broken it was mostly a bad sprain that caused the swelling, discoloration and pain.

That was another thing on my list of things not to do again. It also led me to buy the all leather, hand lasted, Nick's boots. I went with the build to fit and trial boot process. They fit me very well and I don't have the rubbing problems other boots gave me. In the photo you can see the stitching and screws that, in addition to glue, hold the soles on. Nick's is another of the PNW boot companies... Likely my last work boot purchase as with a couple resoles and a rebuild my clock will stop before they do!

View attachment 1037856
Thanks for telling us about this. I might have to try Nick's next time.

If you don't mind spending big money, the Nick's are a really good choice. I've got a pair of Nick's Hotshots, a pair of White's Smoke jumpers, and my old pair of White's that have been rebuilt by Nick's. IMO, the White's aren't the same quality as they used to be, the leather on my Nick's is thicker and of a nicer quality.

As much as I love my Nick's, they are an expensive boot. I could see how the price could be a tough pill to swallow if for occasional use.

Mine aren't chainsaw specific and have no safety toe. IMO the safety comes from that they are really good on rough terrain. Logger heals aren't for everyone, but I like them on steep hills, particularly hiking uphill.
I've got Nick's Builder Pros which are basically the same boots as the Hotshots without the fire resistant thread or soles. I also have White's Outdoorsman and am waiting for a pair of Nick's built-to-fit Ridgeline hiking boots to arrive... been 5 months already! The White's have a Gortex water proof liner and are pretty good for short hikes, hunting and general woods walking but not so good for longer hikes in the mountains or long fast paced flat trail walks. On the longer hikes and walks the ankle bite and lack of flexibility leads to foot cramps... That is why I ordered the Ridgelines.

It is true none of them are inexpensive but I had been replacing $200--$400 boots every year or two. The last straw for me in that price range were the $375 (+tax) Filson boots that came apart and could not be repaired... then they lost them through a RA number mix up. I figure that over the next 10 years I'll be money ahead with the Nick's as they can be resoled and rebuilt multiple times instead of thrown away.

I've got Nick's Builder Pros which are basically the same boots as the Hotshots without the fire resistant thread or soles. I also have White's Outdoorsman and am waiting for a pair of Nick's built-to-fit Ridgeline hiking boots to arrive... been 5 months already! The White's have a Gortex water proof liner and are pretty good for short hikes, hunting and general woods walking but not so good for longer hikes in the mountains or long fast paced flat trail walks. On the longer hikes and walks the ankle bite and lack of flexibility leads to foot cramps... That is why I ordered the Ridgelines.

It is true none of them are inexpensive but I had been replacing $200--$400 boots every year or two. The last straw for me in that price range were the $375 (+tax) Filson boots that came apart and could not be repaired... then they lost them through a RA number mix up. I figure that over the next 10 years I'll be money ahead with the Nick's as they can be resoled and rebuilt multiple times instead of thrown away.
Who does the repair/rebuilding? Such service businesses seem non-existent in my area these days.

I’ve worn Whites and Georgia boots both, but the most comfortable boot for me is Keen, not a brand you would think of. The model I believe is Detroit work boot, tall, steel toe. Then I add kevlar strings. They won’t last as long as Whites but they are a lot cheaper, more comfortable, and lighter. I‘m usually cutting on slopes and the ankle support is better than Georgia boots. My only complaint is the sole design could be “grippier”in snow.

Latest posts

Back