Chinsaw boots - what do you wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wearing Danner 8" tall boots for chainsaw work. They have several Made in USA pairs and are very nice.
Not chainsaw specific but they are comfy and durable.

Nicks have really good feedback though and if I needed something a bit more burly I would look in that direction.

For me it depends on what I'm doing... felling and bucking in the woods I generally wear composite toe Georgia Logger boots. If I'm cutting up fallen stuff, brush, or bucking in "the yard" I generally wear my Nick's Builder Pro boots. Why different boots? If there is a chance of dropping something significant on my feet I want the hard toe protection. If there is no risk of anything significant falling on my feet I prefer the fit and support of the Nick's. I'm not too concerned about cutting the front of my feet but I am concerned about my legs and ankles so I wear chainsaw pants that are long enough to cover the top of the vamp in the front and the heel counter in the back.

The Georgia boots failed me miserably from a support perspective. Below is a photo of my foot and ankle after my ankle folded over in the Georgia boots when the embankment gave way under me. The Nick's offer much better ankle support... and are far superior boots all the way around. BTW, the ankle was broken and the foot and ankle swelled up to probably double the normal size.

View attachment 1037577
OUCH!!!

I have a pair of Viberg "Luis" very comfortable with 200 grains Thinsulate & Vibram "fire & ice" soles with Goodyear welt that resists separation . Kevlar shank & CSA Safety toe & Orthopedic insole . Sturdy boot at a fair price .

I've been wearing the Rocky Boot Company, now bought by Georgia Boot, a pair of boots that are popular in factory floors. I have really wide feet, and most boots from the past were the same bed, with more uppr fabric, and they just dont fit well. I also need a deep lug sole because of my mud. Regular Boot height, with four speed laces, and composite toe and shank. Not the lightest, but comfortable to have to wear all day. I simply can't wear a pointy toed boot of any kind.

This is likley my next pair.

https://www.georgiaboot.com/loggers...oe-low-heel-waterproof-work-boot/GB00238.html

Nick's and White's have those services. Check out Nick's YouTube channel... it's pretty cool to see how the boots are made and serviced.

https://www.youtube.com/@nicksboots
I checked their repair prices. The resoling option is more than I spend on new boots by Timberland or Cat, and I never have worn out the soles. The uppers fail first. For my occasional use, it is just too much for me. If I made my living as a logger, it would probably be worth it. I do like the fact that they can be made to size. I wear 105B and no one stocks that size. I just have to flop around a bit in a wider shoe.

I checked their repair prices. The resoling option is more than I spend on new boots by Timberland or Cat, and I never have worn out the soles. The uppers fail first. For my occasional use, it is just too much for me. If I made my living as a logger, it would probably be worth it. I do like the fact that they can be made to size. I wear 105B and no one stocks that size. I just have to flop around a bit in a wider shoe.
Fair enough... Then again, you would probably never wear the Nick's out so it would be a one time expense! Brush the dirt off, clean them with saddle soap occasionally, and treat them with boot grease so the leather doesn't dry out, and you'd be golden.

The first good pair of boots I had were Browning boots. I didn't understand what I had at the time... I wore them constantly and for years. The uppers were in great shape to the end but I wore the Vibram soles and heels completely smooth... I was unaware they could have been resoled! Years later, when I understood more about boots, I kicked myself for throwing them away! I purchased another pair of Browning boots and they were comparatively junk... For example, the first ones were leather lined and the second were lined with some kind of man made material that wore through at the heel counter within a year. Stitching failed in various areas part way through the second year...

I bought a pair of Carolinas (made in Vietnam) several years ago. The store had one boot on display and the matching boot in the back room. The display boot fit nicely, so I bought them.

Got home and found out I had one steel toe and one soft toe. Still wear them.

I bought a pair of Carolinas (made in Vietnam) several years ago. The store had one boot on display and the matching boot in the back room. The display boot fit nicely, so I bought them.

Got home and found out I had one steel toe and one soft toe. Still wear them.
Hopefully the lead foot has the steel!

I agree that the prices are a lot for occasional use, but like Griz said, they'll be a lifetime boot in occasional use. The uppers don't wear like normal work boots, I can get a re-sole in before they need a rebuild. In turn, I think you can get 2-3 rebuilds before they are finally worn out.

For me, I wouldn't mind a cheaper boot...even tried that option once, but the comfort and ankle support is top notch on these. I also like the different heel options, I like a tall heel, but it's not for everyone. I also have a weird size, I'm a 12EE...good luck finding that size on a shelf.

I agree that the prices are a lot for occasional use, but like Griz said, they'll be a lifetime boot in occasional use. The uppers don't wear like normal work boots, I can get a re-sole in before they need a rebuild. In turn, I think you can get 2-3 rebuilds before they are finally worn out.

For me, I wouldn't mind a cheaper boot...even tried that option once, but the comfort and ankle support is top notch on these. I also like the different heel options, I like a tall heel, but it's not for everyone. I also have a weird size, I'm a 12EE...good luck finding that size on a shelf.
Me... I had the last padded out in the area of the big toe to give me more room there. That stopped the 1/8"+ thick calluses on those toes and the toe nail cuts in the side of the second toes from the toes being crushed together. That alone was a huge buying point for me... As they say, the price is soon forgotten if you have the right gear!

I recently ran a Stihl brush cutter on a steep rock fill that was full of volunteer vegetation. I felt like a Billy Goat in the Nick's... sure footed and great ankle support. I cannot say that about the other boots I've worn on that fill.

Hi,

I'm new to fireplace wood burning. Just purchased a 562xp and now buying PPE. I'm wondering what everyone is using for chainsaw boots. Looked up many models that have been mentioned in old posts but thry have been discontinued.

I'm considering HAIX but many have said the sole begins to separate from the boot. I'm not going to be using these hard-core, so I wouldn't experience this within the warranty period. Have they addressed this issue?

What is everyone wearing? Would like to keep it in at or below the Haix prices.
I’m a full time professional logger and ware Hoffman caulk boots there very nice.

Good stuff. Sounds like majority don't have chainsaw specific boots and just use steel toed? I'm confident in my abilities and strength but just want to keep it extra safe, at least when I start.

Might get those viking class 2 bright orange slip on boots. Anyone have those? I have wide feet. Merrell moab hiking in wide are my go to. Nike, Adidas, reebok, do not fit. New balance sometimes does. These are my Chips, non steel tor. They've gotten wider. Needs some boot care too.

20221209_134450.jpg20221209_135035.jpgOriginals: Chippewa Men's 6" Rugged Handcrafted Lace-Up Boot https://a.co/d/1J5emyv

Back