ArboristSite.com Sponsors

lbj

ArboristSite Member
I have a bandit 90 and the bolts are shearing or snapping it looks like the blade is hitting the anvil . Did adjust anvil with more clearance and the bearings are only about 1 year old had a friend do them . The previous owner had a blade come loose and they repaired it is it possible that it is no longer balanced ? When changing blades the holes are a little egg shaded but i torque them down and they do not appear to be moving . It seems like this happening more often .Any advise is appreciated

Eq Broker

Eq Broker

GlobalEquip
To check the balance of the disc, spin the disc by hand and then let go. If it comes to a complete stop, you should be ok. If it rocks back and forth, it could be out of balance. You can also run the chipper and see if there's a lot of vibration. Simply put your hand on the chipper and feel for vibration and I would recommend doing this at low, medium, and high RPM's. You'll more than likely feel it at low and medium RPM's. You may need to take the chipper, a new set of knives and bolts to a machine shop and they may have to fill and redrill the oblonged holes.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Guru
is there play in the shaft the blades attach too? Im thinking you have damaged bearings that allow deflection under a load when material gets behind the head putting a load on the back side that then the shaft is pushing forward enough to contact the anvil. im just throwing out a guess here but are the ejected chips larger than they used to be? I understand a friend replaced the bearings but sometimes $hlT happens even to good people!

lbj

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for the reply’s since it is a direct drive have not taken belts off to check disc for play but did take the bearing cover off and ran machine it definitely has a wobble in the shaft and the pervious owner had a blade come loose the disc is in rough shape and when the machine is tuned off the disc does rock back and forth before stopping . Been thinking about upgrading vs fixing machine . Did some Leyland pruning and some of the chips were 2 feet long

lbj

ArboristSite Member
To check the balance of the disc, spin the disc by hand and then let go. If it comes to a complete stop, you should be ok. If it rocks back and forth, it could be out of balance. You can also run the chipper and see if there's a lot of vibration. Simply put your hand on the chipper and feel for vibration and I would recommend doing this at low, medium, and high RPM's. You'll more than likely feel it at low and medium RPM's. You may need to take the chipper, a new set of knives and bolts to a machine shop and they may have to fill and redrill the oblonged holes.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400
I’m looking at another chipper i spun the disc it almost stoped then went backwards and stopped should I do anything else to check balance ? It’s just over 900 hours and clean also the disc is not scared up

mrhemihead

mrhemihead

ArboristSite Operative
I used the method that Eq Broker suggested.

Spin up the disk/drum to operating rpm, disengage the clutch with a hand resting near the disk/drum bearings.
Any vibration while it spins down to a stop is a red flag in my book. Also listen for growling or binding from the bearings.

Worn bearings would not be a deal breaker, but they are not cheap and can be a PITA to replace. $1K off the price for this maintenance item.