Choice of Log Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm in the middle having 4 or 5 cords worth of Ash trees taken down. I've been looking at splitters for a while and had sort of settled on a YardMax 25-ton half-beam, but they've been out of stock for a long time. I've also read about good things about Champion and CountyLine, but they're impossible find in stock too.

My question is, would I go wrong in buying the first one of these I can find in stock? Any opinions either way?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I'm in the middle having 4 or 5 cords worth of Ash trees taken down. I've been looking at splitters for a while and had sort of settled on a YardMax 25-ton half-beam, but they've been out of stock for a long time. I've also read about good things about Champion and CountyLine, but they're impossible find in stock too.

My question is, would I go wrong in buying the first one of these I can find in stock? Any opinions either way?

Thanks.
Splitters seem scarce as hens teeth right now. Not sure if I would want the 1/2 beam but that's me. I have a countyline and have split a ton of wood with it. I know when I was looking at generators champion had good reviews. Best bet would be to watch Facebook market place or Craigslist. I see your a keystoner. :rock2:

I tried to buy a 35 ton YardMax just a little over a year ago, logsplitter direct kept pushing back the delivery date until after Jan 6th. Unit was ordered in November. Cancelled order and ordered a 37 unit from Northern Tool, had it in 6 days from order date. Better unit, cost more, had to assemble myself. Would buy same unit again.

I have a 30 ton countyline with a kohler engine. I have split at least 30 cords a year for the last 3 years. You want a splitter with a table to save your back. Ive done some large diameter hackberry and dead gnarly white oak. It made the splitter really work. But have had zero problems. Starts on the 2nd pull usually and sits outside all the time. I use it everyday right now and it sits during the summer. It has a 10.9 second stroke time.

I have a 22 ton Dirty Hands, Vertical- Horizonal splitter. I have split 4 foot diameter Bull Pine and 3 foot Doug fir with it for the last 8 years. I change the oil in the engine every fall and hydraulic filter every spring. Put PRI-G in it so the gas never goes bad. Great Machine

Hi all.

Thanks.
Yard Max is a good brand. I have a 22 ton splitter, it splits everything I put on it and I have split some big trees. Mine has a Kohler engine that starts and runs well at any temp. As we all know service is the answer on all machines. Good Luck!

Try to find a used commercial splitter in your area.
Many of the new splitters that are available at big box stores are not well made

I've got my eyes on a Champion 34-Ton splitter in stock at my local Home Depot. They also have 27-Ton models as well.

I'm not too concerned about brand but availability matters a bit. I'm interested in owners' opinions. I've read the online reviews but prefer opinions from owners on this forum.

I have a Dirty Hands 22 ton splitter from Lowes. I have split up to 3 foot pine, fir, and tamarack blocks with it for over 7 years. I hav e split up to 4 foot. I really like it.

It has a Kohler engine that always starts and runs, solid hydraulic system and ram. Works both horizonal and vertical.

When looking for a splitter I noticed that most of them were built and powered the same, just different names.

I had to take mine all apart and put new thread dope on all the joints as who ever assembled it used the wrong stuff.

I believe that if you get a 34 tonner it will do a good job for you.

Good Luck!!

I have a Champion 25 ton, and it has been a good splitter for the 5 or 6 years since I bought it new. Dirty Hands Yardmax, etc, they are all pretty much the same. You get a better more capable machine when you get a side log lift. If you got the coin get a hydraulic log lift and save your back, and get more done quicker.

I've got a Countryline 25T from TSC. Works well. Decently quick, but not fast. TSC sells the side table for it separately. Had mine for about 2 years now and split a lot with it. Just setup a roadside self serve stand with some bags and it's been going well.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
I have the 30 ton county line fromTSC also. Splits everything I put in it. I did have a hose go bad on me right before the 3 year warrantee went out. Of course they don't have one and don't know when they will be available but will get one to me when they get them. I fixed it myself, we'll see

Back