Choosing a New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KarlD, My Echo, out of the box was way to rich. I leaned it out and now running the way I like it. No hesitation, instant throttle response and it four strokes to my liking.
I’ve only got one Echo and it was perfect out of the box. Too rich is okay isn’t it...it’s when they come out too lean it’s a worry

I’ve only got one Echo and it was perfect out of the box. Too rich is okay isn’t it...it’s when they come out too lean it’s a worry
Too lean equals boggy throttle ,a saw saw that wont idle ,or lean siezure that can happen very quickly. Too rich is better foresay but has its own problems. A saw that wont idle, a saw that is very slow in the cut, A saw that doesent burn cleanly and produces way more than normal carbon. Both situations can make a saw very hard to start if at all.

Congrats on your purchase. However I would have specified getting a RS chain (yellow) over the one shown. Filing down the rakers can be a real challenge with this safety chain.

I know the feeling. A while ago or about a year, I walked into my local Stihl dealer with intent of walking out with a new 271.I had cash in pocket but asked for the RS chain. He started telling me about safety regulations and the laws. Total bull. Anyway I put the monies on the counter and gave him his opportunity to replace the chain. I picked up the cash and told him that he just lost a sale. BTW, I have been repairing and cutting firewood since the late 70's. In all actuality I could have purchased a separate chain but he had a poor attitude, so the sale was lost.

Love my 261. I agree the green chain, I have a hard time filing the rakers on it. You should use whatever you’re most comfortable with

I’ve owned Husqvarna chainsaws since 1970. Never had a problem but I buy professional saws. I use larger rims on the clutches too. Keep the gullet hogged out and the chain razor sharp.

Filing rakers I file the left side teeth, rakers towards the left. I file the right side teeth rakers towards the right. I’m not sure if it’s the hardness or lean of the raker but it works, normally two passes with a flat file sets the depth.

Back