Choosing a small chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird belt transmission on that salsco, look like the chipper unit is geared up to higher speed than the engine, not to lower speed like its usually done.

Correct me if im wrong.

i know this is a little late...i dont think anyone is even looking at this anymore

but your looking at a 6 inch chipper...go bandit with with the wisconsin....i really love that little machine...

best machine on the market...in its class

again just my opinion...best of luck with what ever way you go

I really like my 6" Bandit, too. Having a lineup of guys wanting firewood, and a firewood saws that sizzle like there's no tomorrow really allows a commercial arborist to get away with the smaller size chipper.

I'm at a point where I've gotta be thinking about a new chipper. It's a tough decision. If I go bigger, I'll just fill up the box faster, make more trips to spill chips and all my firewood guys will get less firewood. I won't chip any faster, just a bit bigger. The Bandit, once I got all the modifications dialled in, has been beyond satisfactory. I wish I could say that about all my equipment.

If I was running a crew of guys I don't think the 6" would stand for it. It's more a 1-2 man machine. Get a couple guys trying to ram material down it that's too big, they'll either slow production or send the machine to an early death.

I fear hiring a guy who's used to feeding a 12" model. He'll naturally want to go big. A 6" will gobble brush all day long at 90 feet per minute, which is rippin, but you have to stay under 6" diameter. This would be totally foreign to a guy who's run bigger chippers.

But getting back to Thor's Hammer.....
Interesting thread. Jim, you really should see some of the european chippers. Would make the Bandit65 look rather sad...
Well, my brother from Wales, I have little reason to doubt you.

Could you share with us the scoop on the 6" Nessie? I'm willing to put any personal bias aside and listen with wide open ears. I'm all about owning something better and badder. Whatcha got stirring in the pot? I smell something interesting.

Latest posts

Back