Choosing between Stihl and Echo backpack blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been running a shindaiwa backpack blower for 5 years, and an echo for 10. They do great although the echo has taken more hits than willie nelsons peace pipe. Starter cords and starter springs are all they have needed in that time.

Shindaiwa and Echo are like Chevy and GMC pickups. Same thing different branding. Many many years ago they were different, but they are pretty much merged now in the same way Jonsered and Husky are with saws.

That blower is a beast and like having a dirt bike strapped to your back. Get some 32db ear plugs and then wear some ear muffs over those haha.

It’s surprising to me that the echo and shindaiwas have so much engine/crankcase-carb/etc exposed. I guess easier for replacing lines etc. I just prefer the look of the stihl backpack turtle shells. Vain I know

It’s surprising to me that the echo and shindaiwas have so much engine/crankcase-carb/etc exposed. I guess easier for replacing lines etc. I just prefer the look of the stihl backpack turtle shells. Vain I know
I think I'm drawn to exposed mechanicals so that was the thing I enjoyed less about the Stihl haha. At least when it's on your back though you don't have to see it when you're using it ;)

I'll admit though, even as an Echo fan that I might be drawn towards the Stihl 800 with side start because it's quieter and can be restarted while worn. Back pack blowers draw Karen's like crazy so I've learned to embrace the quieter models. However, if I just need maximum force (and noise be damned) give me the new 9010. I figure it's got enough power to physically keep them away from me haha.

Any backpack....try putting it on and handle controls. They are all similar but not the same.
I would buy whatever the local landscape crews use to be somewhat assured the local dealer will be in a position to offer continued service.
You can look at cfm numbers all day but in the end it will amount to how much moisture is present....be it leaves or snow.
Engine manufacturers last I looked was Kioritz for Echo and Zenoah for Shindaiwa and RedMax....but mergers may have happened?

I had a large fleet (golf maintenance) of backpacks and I did stock shoulder straps as the biggest wear part....they were Echo.
Backpacks should last a long time...no variable load on engines or ability to overwhelm...like a saw.

Stihl’s 4 mix has came a long way from when they first started but the new ones are bulletproof. I have had hundreds if not thousands of hours using echo, red max, shindaiwas, Stihl backpack blowers, red max is the loudest and gets annoying after awhile and pisses people off, also uncomfortable but reliable. Echo is hard to kill but the straps break easily and uncomfortable after 10+ hours, the top handle also breaks super easy. Shindaiwas are top heavy and are just like echos. Stihl blowers are super comfortable and lightweight, they can be “harder to work on” but I can do crank bearing in 30 minutes now. They also do have more maintenance items like valves and they are picky about getting 91 fuel and 50-1 Stihl ultra or they run like garbage.

Latest posts

Back