Chunk out saw idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerfWatcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on an ultimate chunk out saw for ~10-20" diameter wood. To me that would be a mini 372xp with full wrap. My 372 with 24" light bar gets a bit heavy to climb and chunk out at times, looking for something between that and my 2511t top handle.

Goals
~50cc
Full wrap (willing to modify a handle to fit)
Pulls a 16" bar buried
LIGHT WEIGHT

I use to own a 359 half wrap, ported. Really regret selling it at times, but it didn't feel much lighter than the 372. Had an echo 620pw, nice saw but again not much lighter (by feel) than the 372 and less power.

Thinking maybe a 261 or 550xp and having to modify a full wrap to fit. I have the capabilities to make a full wrap from scratch, but really prefer not to. I prefer the husqvarna 372 style of wrap to the large radius sweep of the modern husky and stihl units.

I have a very nice early 026 that is great in the weight and handling, but kinda hate to beat that up going up and down trees with it.

Right now the echo cs501p is a pretty good contender, and the factory aluminum handle will be easier to mod than the stihl plastic (requiring a fabed from scratch) handle.

Well I dedcided to start with a 026 pro build. Ordered large dogs, full wrap handle, running a 18" 325 bar,. Want to do some porting but it has the fixed jet carb.

Well I dedcided to start with a 026 pro build. Ordered large dogs, full wrap handle, running a 18" 325 bar,. Want to do some porting but it has the fixed jet carb.
I believe a 044 full wrap will fit on a 026 if I'm not mistaken? Go on eBay and get you a WT-426 carb so you can adjust the high speed. I have a 026 Pro set up similar to what your planning minus the full wrap and 18" bar. I have a MS250 that I've configured as a good chunker. Rips pretty good for a 45cc saw, I've done pretty much everything I could do to it other than porting.

I use an 026 with a 20”.
I’ve seen folks put the 3/4 wrap aftermarket 044 handle on them. Takes a little drilling to get it right. A few I’ve seen didn’t look so good, the handle was too high up, was about level or a little above the top edge of the brake handle.
I think the MS261 1/2 wrap has different curvy contours to it, so you’d probably be better off hunting down an 026/ MS260.
I do like a 3/4 or full wrap when chunking down a spar too, I should get a wrap for my 026 or 024 Super.

Does anyone know if there’s a 3/4 wrap handle available for the 026 or for any pro grade Stihl 50cc or 60cc saws? I’ve searched a bit but no luck.
Been thinking about saving my nickels for a 562XP with that wrap.

This is confusing me

Climbers like full wrap for climbing?

I use an 026 with a 20”.
I’ve seen folks put the 3/4 wrap aftermarket 044 handle on them. Takes a little drilling to get it right. A few I’ve seen didn’t look so good, the handle was too high up, was about level or a little above the top edge of the brake handle.
I think the MS261 1/2 wrap has different curvy contours to it, so you’d probably be better off hunting down an 026/ MS260.
I do like a 3/4 or full wrap when chunking down a spar too, I should get a wrap for my 026 or 024 Super.

Does anyone know if there’s a 3/4 wrap handle available for the 026 or for any pro grade Stihl 50cc or 60cc saws? I’ve searched a bit but no luck.
Been thinking about saving my nickels for a 562XP with that wrap.
So I ended up trying that after a youtube video. And yes, you are correct it does not fit quite as well as I was led to believe in the youtube video, even with drilling extra holes. And yes it is very bulky / oversized for the saw / chain brake line up issues to the point it is difficult to disengage the chain brake.
Currently working on a husquvarna 372xp (non curved clutch side) style full wrap handle for the 026. The fixtures to verify the bends are rather complex.

I have yet to find a factory 45-55cc saw full wrap handle.

Back