Circular saw blades for trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertesq1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The Stihl guy said that I could pretty much use any 8 inch circular saw blade for my FS 110 line trimmer. Any comments or suggestions on best blades.

Thx rob

If they are an anti-kick back style tooth I would say yes.Large toothed rip blades however could be dangerous given the lack of depth control in the cut.

Also if you try outrageous diameters,the kick back tendencies will magnify.

Don't even consider it. Circular saws run 3450 rpm, that brush cutter turns over 9000. A circular saw blade will shatter if it hits anything at that speed. Use a blade designed for the job, your family and the insurance company will thank you for it.

Circular blades on brushcutters.

Only use circular blades designed specifically for brushcutters. Any circular blade not specifically designed for a brushcutter is extremely dangerous. I prefer to use a 7" blade that has chainsaw teeth riveted to it. It sharpens with a round chainsaw file. Don't use a blade of larger diameter than what your brushcutter can handle.

Kickback can cause serious injuries. To avoid serious injuries from kickback, mount a circular blade only on a straight-shaft brushcutter equipped with a bicycle handlebar and a blade guard designed specifically for your make and model brushcutter. Never mount a circular blade on a loop-handle trimmer.

The following article provides practical advice on how to use brushcutters with circular blades.

How to choose & use brushcutters - woodlot thinning - includes related information
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1016/is_n5-6_v96/ai_8985023/pg_2/

Last edited:
The Stihl guy said that I could pretty much use any 8 inch circular saw blade for my FS 110 line trimmer. Any comments or suggestions on best blades.

Thx rob

Sounds like a lazy/ignorant Stihl dealer. First and foremost, he's advising you to do something extremely dangerous. Second of all, he's missing out on a sale to you of the proper product and directing you to another business. What an idiot!

Would't do it

Wrong steel ,most trimmer bladesI've seen will bend and felx a circular saw balde is a better grade of steel.NO flex!Picture an ankle high grenade!Really not safe!
Russ

Use of a blade designed for a circular saw is probably hazardous to your health. Best stick with blades design for trimmers. I recall most costing about $24 bucks and they are very durable. For a bike handle trimmer, I prefer Redmax sst229 blades. Basically a disk with chainsaw teeth cut into it. They sharpen just like 3/8 chain. If you have a loop handle trimmer (with a barrier bar), stick with the stihl 3 point brush knife. Works great and is reversible and very easy to sharpen. Anything the brush knife don’t cut, hit with your chainsaw. As a side note, I don’t think stihl loop handle trimmers come with the mounting hardware for circular blades. I recall purchasing an “optional” kit that includes a much larger trimmer guard. Be careful.

Use of a blade designed for a circular saw is probably hazardous to your health. Best stick with blades design for trimmers. I recall most costing about $24 bucks and they are very durable. For a bike handle trimmer, I prefer Redmax sst229 blades. Basically a disk with chainsaw teeth cut into it. They sharpen just like 3/8 chain. If you have a loop handle trimmer (with a barrier bar), stick with the stihl 3 point brush knife. Works great and is reversible and very easy to sharpen. Anything the brush knife don’t cut, hit with your chainsaw. As a side note, I don’t think stihl loop handle trimmers come with the mounting hardware for circular blades. I recall purchasing an “optional” kit that includes a much larger trimmer guard. Be careful.

Thr FS110 R has the parts for the circular saw blades as far as I know. It sounded like the guy was trying to save me a few bucks... on an item he wasn't that familiar with.

So is the Stihl chisel tooth circular saw blade the one with chainsaw teeth?? It says it can be sharpened with a round file.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aV55zLQUiqU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aV55zLQUiqU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

this may happen

Only use circular blades designed specifically for brushcutters. Any circular blade not specifically designed for a brushcutter is extremely dangerous. I prefer to use a 7" blade that has chainsaw teeth riveted to it. It sharpens with a round chainsaw file. Don't use a blade of larger diameter than what your brushcutter can handle.

Kickback can cause serious injuries. To avoid serious injuries from kickback, mount a circular blade only on a straight-shaft brushcutter equipped with a bicycle handlebar and a blade guard designed specifically for your make and model brushcutter. Never mount a circular blade on a loop-handle trimmer.

The following article provides practical advice on how to use brushcutters with circular blades.

How to choose & use brushcutters - woodlot thinning - includes related information
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1016/is_n5-6_v96/ai_8985023/pg_2/

Stihl is proud of their brush blade with chain saw like teeth. NOT riveted on though. It is a GREAT blade, it easily cuts three inch trees on a FS90. Well worth the price of admission. NO comparison to a skilsaw type blade, none whatsoever. Get the Stihl blade period. You will be glad you did.

Oh by the way bike handles suck like you wouldn't believe, esp. when you are trimming up a tall fence. Bike handle are only for use at ground level, and in my opinion they suck badly used in that application.

I have a 40 tooth blade on a Tanaka trimmer. It is actually pretty useless as far as a brush cutter goes. The 3 tooth triangle type brush cutter has to be better than those saw type blades.

The saw type just doesnt have the umph needed to get through alot of the bigger brush.

circle saw blade on a brush cutter

I have been useing a 9" carbide blade on my little echo straight shaft trimmer for the last three years. great little machine for small honey suckle, buck thorn etc. up tp 2" diameter.

You do need a brush kit from your dealer, which is a handle bolted on to the shaft, and a harness so you dont cut your leg off.
Also you need a carbide blade designed for brush cutting, available on the internet, they have a 1" center hole so you need a 1" shaft available from Echo, or use a bushing which is also available from the guys who sell concrete cutting blades.

I have been useing the same blade for 3 years now, and has only lost 1 tooth in all of that time. and I beat the holy hell out of that little machine.
I dig the blade right down into the ground, hit rocks etc.

Love that little machine.
gtread

I've been using a 7-1/4" circular saw blade on my Stihl trimmer for many years now and never had any problems. I've mainly used it for cutting four wheeler trails through the thick over grown clear cuts for deer hunting. I've slowly cut trees up to 4'' in diameter as if you were using it like a saw. I've run it wide open swinging it through 1"- 2" saplings for hours. I've heard the blade shattering stuff also, but never seen it happen or heard any actual stories about it. I do look for the highest rpm rated blades, but usually just get the cheapest ones. The expensive Stihl brush blades dull very quickly. Cut a thin section of 1/2" cpvc pipe for a cheap easy bushing around the arbor. It's very important to run the blade BALANCED. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very safety conscious type of person and usually do things by the book, but I'm always surprised to see guys on here that use chainsaws, bucket trucks, stump grinders, and chippers for a living, but act a little scared to do something dangerous. Guess I'm used to growing up in the South with a bunch of crazy rednecks....

Back