Cleaning carb of 15 yr old Craftsman chainsaw with ten hours runtime

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preventec47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About fifteen years ago I did some tree clearing for my parents when they bought a house and my dad bought a chainsaw from SEARS with 18 inch blade. It cut very well for a few days and I ran it dry and oiled the cylinder for storage but a few years
later my dad used it for a few hours and put it away with gas in the tank and it has set for about ten years. I have lots of experience with cars, lawnmowers, motorcycles carbs etc but never disassembled a chain saw. Is it worth my time to pull the carb and soak
or clean out fuel lines and jets or other wise try to clean the inside using traditional techniques ? IE is the probability of success
pretty high or should I just bite the bullet and go buy another cheaper consumer brand chainsaw ? I have two other running 14 inch
blade chainsaws and the bigger 18 incher could often times come in handy. I did test for spark and the ignition works well.

They're not that hard to disassemble and clean with some basic tools and carb cleaner. The fuel lines are probably toast so pay attention to how they are connected to carb. Parts are mostly available still online, I think the saw is a Poulan, but don't quote me. Lots video on y-tube to help guide you.

I recently rehabbed an old 40cc craftsman I inherited from my uncle..it was brand new never run before..All of the fuel lines were shot, so I replaced them add gas and it fired up..Your carb is probably fine, the fuel line maybe not.

I got a cheap kit off Amazon for under $10..

Recently rehabbed a few Craftsman/poulan saws. Carb rebuilds are cheap and very easy. Strip, then blow out all passages. Reassemble with kit. Get an engine gasket kit too, which is also cheap. And primer bulb if it has one.

The black phenolic spacer between carb and cylinder sometimes become loose to the cylinder. Carb mounting screws will not tighten that joint, two separate screws.

I wouldn't bother with the kits that have spark plug,fuel and oil caps, et. The kit fuel cap is not vented and is therefore not usable. The spark plug is also Chinese junk.

Ok, I'll look on the chainsaw for specific model info.
Where do I go to find the carb rebuild kit ?
Is SEARS repair/parts still in business ?

Ok, I'll look on the chainsaw for specific model info.
Where do I go to find the carb rebuild kit ?
Is SEARS repair/parts still in business ?
Post up the saw model #..then google parts for that model. Like I mentioned, I bough a kit off amazon very inexpensive.

Craftsman/Sears never made a chainsaw, but lots of other companies made saws that Sears put the craftsman name on
Some of those saws are very good saws and some of them are very cheap saws, So we need to know which model it is to find out if it's a good saw or not and whether it's worth a lot of effort to fix

You tube can be your friend on this one to get the basics of your saw fuel system repairs.
Take your model number and do a search for replacing the fuel lines.
You will probably find a tune up kit including tygon lines, maybe even a tune up kit with carb for less than $20. (flea bay is a good place to review at first.
Now days if into the fuel system you can replace the carb easier and cheaper than doing a kit. (and get a tune up KIT with a replacement carb included.
The saw is probably actually a Poulan made with sears/craftsman brand name.
Post up the model number on the saw or some pictures.
You might take some 50:1 mixed gas and dump a small amount into the carb throat and and see if it will briefly run or make some promise pops.
Some of them OLD model saws were very good and some are just cheap stuff. On the cheap stuff you need to be careful and not get more into the rig even doing the repairs yourself, especially if it needs a bar and chain, sprocket, carb, magneto coil, if using new replacement parts.

Craftsman/Sears never made a chainsaw, but lots of other companies made saws that Sears put the craftsman name on
Some of those saws are very good saws and some of them are very cheap saws, So we need to know which model it is to find out if it's a good saw or not and whether it's worth a lot of effort to fix
Mine is good for cutting down elderberry bushes. Nothing else, as far as I've been able to determine. Badged "Craftsman" - I did not buy it.

Mine is good for cutting down elderberry bushes. Nothing else, as far as I've been able to determine. Badged "Craftsman" - I did not buy it.
Right about cutting elderberry bushes.
I've never bought one and do not remember ever buying any new replacement parts except maybe tygon fuel lines. I usually take 2 or 3 and make one.
I own and run some of them Craftsman/Sears and Poulans that were given to me or I dug them out of the dump and as Dirty Harry indicates, You need to know your saws limitations.
Several of the Craftsman/Sears owners manuals have on the front cover in big letters "FOR OCCASSIONAL USE ONLY"

Best to not stress them or they might get a permanent anxiety disorder.

Now for the record, Poulan in the old days did make some really good saws, even industrial use type.

Back