Climbing a Good Career?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betard_foosier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im a 27 year old account manager in an office job, and im just fed up with the office drama and boredom. Ive always had a Love for trees and the outdoors, and now have an opportunity to join a reputable company as a climber. Of course i will be trained on the job, its year round work with stable pay. Is this a good career to get int, or should i run?

I was in a similar situation as you a couple years ago, I didn't go straight into climbing but I did find a job working outdoors as that is what I enjoy. For me it was a great decision, but fighting the natural elements can make you want your nice office chair back :biggrin: I no longer get bored and watch the clock or all antsy being inside on a nice day. Don't make as much as I used to but that's ok, I will catch back up to where I was financially soon. Tree work has a lot of opportunity that is for sure.

I haven't experienced this yet but I hear its pretty hard on the body, I think it's just a bunch of old guys whining :blob2:

I am not a climber. I am Sales Manager thinking the same thing. I went to school for Forestry, but that was some time ago. So I started a company stump grinding and tree removal, things start a little slow, but word gets around. I do the best job I know how to do, and be respectful, and tread lightly. I do just weekends at this time, but I love it, and I will grow. At one time or another I will have to jump in with both feet, and make it work. And I will. Good luck to you and do not give up. If it is a job that you can get up every morning and enjoy going to do, then you have the best job. The money will come.
Haulinwood

Any specific reason why?

The works hard, your body takes a beating, people look at you like your trash, there is a lot of trash in the business, its overflowing with people out of work trying to do the same thing, you now get about 1/2 maybe 2/3 of what you got 5 years ago for the same tree and it cost twice as much to run the business. Obama is the president and no one should have to work...

other then that its all cherries, go for it.

I was in a similar situation as you a couple years ago, I didn't go straight into climbing but I did find a job working outdoors as that is what I enjoy. For me it was a great decision, but fighting the natural elements can make you want your nice office chair back :biggrin: I no longer get bored and watch the clock or all antsy being inside on a nice day. Don't make as much as I used to but that's ok, I will catch back up to where I was financially soon. Tree work has a lot of opportunity that is for sure.

I haven't experienced this yet but I hear its pretty hard on the body, I think it's just a bunch of old guys whining :blob2:

Talk to me in twenty years and let me know how you're feeling.

You guys are starting to make me think twice! I think it comes down to which will suffer more, my physical health in the tree, or my mental health in the office.

If you've got to ask the question, it probably isn't for you. For the most part, good climbers aren't made; they're born.

You'd have to define 'good career' to get a better answer. If you mean money, stability, opportunity for advancement and the option to diversify, then mostly not. On the surface it seems like there's money, but you're not going to find too many climbers being chaufferred around in their bentley. There are many hidden costs, and guys fail to take into account things like retirement, income protection, holidays, ongoing expenses, repairs, sick time etc etc... I think a lot of experienced climbers would be surprised if they found out the truth on how their real hourly rate compared with any other industry after all that stuff is taken out.

The work is quite seasonal, and unpredictable. While you can (and many do) keep climbing into your old age, it is hard on your body as others have noted. Physically you peak pretty young. Old climbers have to make up for it by working smarter, but brains can only do so much. It takes longer to recover as you get older. You can progress on to running your own small company, but then you're back in white collar world stresses, and it sucks up basically your entire life for not a brilliant financial return.

I think most of us do it just because we couldn't do anything else. Like deep sea fishing, if it's in your blood then that's what you'll do.

Shaun

Word

@LilRed, WHINING, YOU SAID WHINING! Ha! Good luck, like said before, come see us in 20, hell, screw 20, come see us after a year of doing this, then lets see what you say. I have hired many guys who talked a good game and broke them off in a week, some, in a day.

Word

@LilRed, WHINING, YOU SAID WHINING! Ha! Good luck, like said before, come see us in 20, hell, screw 20, come see us after a year of doing this, then lets see what you say. I have hired many guys who talked a good game and broke them off in a week, some, in a day.

Whoa! And I'm going to attend training to be certified both for advanced felling on ground now in november, and another for climbing/removing in feb next year. Lot's of time and money will be spent and invested in this. I'm planning on starting a small business. Sound like a bad idea after reading this. Oh crap...... :bang:

Question; you guys who work in areas where there's cold winters and snow; can you still climb and do tree work in the winter season?

Im a 27 year old account manager in an office job, and im just fed up with the office drama and boredom. Ive always had a Love for trees and the outdoors, and now have an opportunity to join a reputable company as a climber. Of course i will be trained on the job, its year round work with stable pay. Is this a good career to get int, or should i run?

Can't help myself, but I have to add a couple of comments.
You can't ask these guys this question, they can't even agree on which rope to use or if DdRT or SRT is best...........Down guys, hear me out. I can't answer this question either, not because I'm not a professional arborist, but because the only person to answer this question is YOU. These guys work hard, most of them are passionate about their work, they hold it in very high regard, they are proud of what they do, the methods that they use, the tools and equipment they carry, (just try to get them to carry a cheap little rope saw:laugh:) they know that few others can do what they do, and what most would be too afraid to even think about doing. They make a living at it. They are good at it. They fricking put a GoPro camera on their head just to share to the rest of the world how cool it is what they do. How many other people can put a camera on their head for a day and share it with the world.
So if you think you want what they have, can be good at it and can make enough to live on________(fill in the blank, just don't expect an answer from them).
Now just for fun, ask them which kind of shoes you should buy. :bang:

I think most of us do it just because we couldn't do anything else. ....
Shaun
I disagree, I think it is because they couldn't think of doing anything else...

Last edited:
Whoa! And I'm going to attend training to be certified both for advanced felling on ground now in november, and another for climbing/removing in feb next year. Lot's of time and money will be spent and invested in this. I'm planning on starting a small business. Sound like a bad idea after reading this. Oh crap...... :bang:

Question; you guys who work in areas where there's cold winters and snow; can you still climb and do tree work in the winter season?

I can't answer the question, our winters are very mild here with no snow and I love climbing in the cold.

RE: the courses, geting training is always a good idea, but certification and experience are two different things. A lot of us started without papers, worked under someone, picked up both good and bad habits, worked for different companies and got different perspectives but generally picked up what worked and what didn't. Then we went and got certified. Here in aus, we have 2 levels of certification for climbers; cert II in arboriculture is the basic one, and cert III in arboriculture is the more advanced one. Each course takes a year, one day a week.

They are practical courses, that hold your hand and take you through the motions of setting a line, working a canopy, making cuts, rigging. They start you off spikeless and with a handsaw. Towards the end of the year you get to do a little spike work, and use chainsaws. It's almost entirely practical lessons with a few classroom days. When I did my cert II, there were guys in the class who had never used a chainsaw in their life, and guys who had been contract climbers for 20 years. The more experienced guys thought a lot of the course stuff wasn impractical because nobody works like that. If you used those methods, you could never get treework done in time to make a dollar. There were guys at the end of that cert II, who still couldn't do even the most basic of removals.

When I did my cert III, it was the same story. There were guys even at the end, after 2 years of training, who couldn't hold a climbing job for a day. It would take them 6 hours to get into the canopy, and remove a single branch; I kid you not. Getting experience working with a tree company is one of the best things you can do. Pick someone good though. Even a month will teach you a lot.

Don't get me wrong, the certification is a good thing and worth having. You'll pickup a lot of good safety info, and get some good understanding of tree work too. It certainly doesn't prepare you for running a tree company any more than getting a basic fallers ticket prepares you to be a full time faller.

Shaun

i climb, have for 16 years, at some point im going to need to come out of the tree
this is something you need to love to do, this is not, i want a good job, ill climb
its brutal, its dangerous and its hard flippin work, there are lots of other, better jobs out there, not many guys do this as long as i have
climbing is not a career, tree work can be, but you cant climb forever, and 27 to me, seems like a little late in the game to jump into this
we should all be lucky to have a job we love, and most days i do love my job, occasionally tho, its hateful

Don't get me wrong, the certification is a good thing and worth having. You'll pickup a lot of good safety info, and get some good understanding of tree work too. It certainly doesn't prepare you for running a tree company any more than getting a basic fallers ticket prepares you to be a full time faller.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun. I totally agree. I won't be quittin my daytime job in the near future, so this will be more an opportunity to actually do what I really enjoy in my spare time, initially, and hopfully get paid for it. And if I can do it in a safe way after my training I'll be happy. ;)

Im almost 26 and I have 7 more weeks of school left (Arboriculture) already completed urban forestry. Im feeling myself like ive started a bit late. My everything is in pain everyday but Im not about to sit in an office or in walmart greeting people! Im sticking to it because i enjoy it and the view while your up a nice tall tree almost makes your achy back worth it. If your gunna do it you should get on it cause it takes a toll on ya. Good luck!

Im almost 26 and I have 7 more weeks of school left (Arboriculture) already completed urban forestry. Im feeling myself like ive started a bit late. My everything is in pain everyday but Im not about to sit in an office or in walmart greeting people! Im sticking to it because i enjoy it and the view while your up a nice tall tree almost makes your achy back worth it. If your gunna do it you should get on it cause it takes a toll on ya. Good luck!

If I hear you 20 something's say one more time "I'm too old for this" I'm gunna puke! Then I'm going to come down from my lounge chair 40' in the tree where I'm enjoying a nice peaceful night in the dark and bring my 60 year old ass over and kick the #### out of yours!

I could and have had lot worse jobs
Give it a shot...I just took a job as forrester for a city municipality...took a pay cut but money isn't everything...(side job once a week it evens out)

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back