Climbing spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
So I’m in the market for new spurs. I’m still rather new to climbing. I use a set of Kline pole spurs with T pads now. I have narrowed my search to either buckingham steel with the cast aluminum pads,
Climb right aluminum with ultralight pads or
The gecko steel climbers??

I've owned Kline pole spurs and gecko steel and aluminum. I've always had this weird issue with my heels slipping off the bottom of the spur with the geckos- and if I hadn't had the klines stolen, I'd probably have preferred them over the Geckos. I now own elderid talons and love them. I also have the extra foot ascender with it which makes it nice for doing SRT removals.

Kleins are good gaffs. If I were you, rather than get new gaffs I'd remove the pole spikes from the Kleins and replace them with the longer tree spikes. Then add aluminum "caddy pads." You won't find a better outfit than that.
The pole gaffs are not removeable on my set?

Out of the three you listed I'd choose the bucks and caddy pads.
Geckos are light but that's really all they have going for them to me.
Climb right are pretty good but I don't like the ultralight pad on them.

I would also recommend the Buckingham alloys or bashlin's. An offset stirrup is a big change in comfort. Not sure if bashlin's do this but the bucks also angle the gaff a few degrees into the tree and allow you to stand a bit straighter. They also have a hybrid gaff that is in between a pole and tree gaff in length. Perfect for us east coast guys.

I have climb right pads on steel buckingham straight gaffs. I like them, but I have replaced them with a set of the steel geckos. Why did I replace them? Because the geckos were cheap and I wanted to try them.
I like the geckos personally, they’re comfortable and light.

The pole gaffs are not removeable on my set?
Usually the gaffs are riveted on. So you can replace them. Look to see whether there's rivets (two of 'em) holding your gaffs onto the stirrup. I'm no expert, but I believe that's what you'll find. The pole spikes are shorter than those made for tree work.

I briefly owned the Climb Rights, it’s a no on those, the profile of the gaff point was weak. Rounded, not sharp. I sold them to someone who was satisfied after taking them to a belt sander. Stein X-2 spurs are the exact same, with a different color. They’re also kinda big and clunky.

I’ve not used Geckos. Sure are popular though.

Bashlin aluminum with tree gaffs are my what I have now, but I spent a long time on Buckingham steels, and they’ll serve you well. Caddy pads all day.

I run 1 3/4" bucks with caddy pads, only thing I want to upgrade is the straps, going with quick release velcro ones, and I might paint the shanks black

I briefly owned the Climb Rights, it’s a no on those, the profile of the gaff point was weak. Rounded, not sharp. I sold them to someone who was satisfied after taking them to a belt sander. Stein X-2 spurs are the exact same, with a different color. They’re also kinda big and clunky.

Bashlin aluminum with tree gaffs are my what I have now, but I spent a long time on Buckingham steels, and they’ll serve you well. Caddy pads all day.
How do the cast pads work with skinny legs? Concern I won’t be able to get them tight? I’m 5’-7 and 135 lbs!

How do the cast pads work with skinny legs? Concern I won’t be able to get them tight? I’m 5’-7 and 135 lbs!
I see this about "Caddy Pads" everywhere but I cannot look up those words and find anything except in the sewing industry. Interestingly, it almost makes sense the pads they're referring to in the sewing world, but then again...that can't be what you're referring to is it? What is a "caddy pad"?

I see this about "Caddy Pads" everywhere but I cannot look up those words and find anything except in the sewing industry. Interestingly, it almost makes sense the pads they're referring to in the sewing world, but then again...that can't be what you're referring to is it? What is a "caddy pad"? Who makes it?

its called a "caddy pad" because they are the Cadillac's of spur pads

and your welcome
I made the switch after 10 years. Started out with those deck of cards sized leather pads that came with the Kleins, then got extra large leather pads, then aluminum. Love the aluminum ones -- I used to have to wrap ace bandages on my shins, because the pads would slip and raise blisters from the friction after a few hours! No more.

I think back in the day when climbers hooked everything, they developed calluses on their shins or were just "tougher" back then? Or maybe I am getting old and my skin is thinner? Plus, I would make them so tight that I probably caused some nerve damage; have what seems to be permanent numbness on the balls of my feet and bottoms of toes. No one said tree work was easy on the body, and a little numbness is hardly a big deal-- survived a fall last March that put me in the hospital for a week.

Back