Clogger Chainsaw Chaps Evaluation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

Spent most of the day, yesterday, wearing the ZERO chaps (82°F and sunny) while testing some saws, etc. It's been too hot, humid, or rainy recently to just be standing outside for me, let alone doing much physical work. COVID restrictions have limited some other sawing opportunities.

While focused on the work, I actually forgot that I had them on. The additional bulk was noticeable over my jeans, but the soft feel of the product felt more like a layer of fleece or sweat pants than protective gear. I did not feel restricted in my movements or excessively hot, although, the chaps were noticeably damp on the inside when I removed them. I was able to bend down, pick up logs, set up sawbucks, cut, pick up cookies, clean up the area, etc.

The Clogger chaps have more straps and buckles than some other brands, due to their perspective that the protective fabrics have to stay in place in order to work. So it does take a few more seconds to put them on, and to take them off. But a 'Velcro' strip along the bottom of each leg helps to hold them in position while fastening the buckles and securing the straps.

*One thing of note is that I normally wear chaps with a pair of suspenders to help support their weight, and to hold them in place on my, . . . er . . . , um . . . , 'mature male physique'. I did not need them with these ZERO chaps, due to the lighter weight (?), thinner format (?), or just the way that they fit me (?). Your mileage may vary.

I apologize that I did not assess the cut resistance of the chaps during this evaluation by intentionally (or unintentionally) jamming one of the saws into my leg - I will continue to place my confidence in Clogger's test machine, and multiple certifications, for now.

Philbert

Update 2 - In Defense . . .

Yesterday I used the Defender Pro chaps under similar conditions (86°F and sunny) These fit similarly (same size, same manufacturer), and also afforded a wide range of movement. But the stiffer, outer fabric was noticable, when directly compared to the ZERO chaps, in an almost side-by-side situation. They were also slightly hotter to wear, due to the water repellant coating and hard finish nylon outer shell fabric. My jeans were noticeably more damp, after removing the chaps. Still a lot more comfortable than some of the bulkier chaps that I am used to.

Two good choices: the ZERO chaps for the most comfortable chainsaw protection, especially in an open environment; and the Defender Pro chaps for those who have to slog through wet or pricker filled brush.

Philbert

I sprung for a pair of their basic chaps. Had to be better that the heavy old pair I hate wearing. Took about a week to arrive in the states. Finally used them last Sunday. Wore them for three hours and pretty much forgot they were on. Our local burrs just brushed off. That's a big plus. Did not need to use a pair of suspenders to hold them up. It was in the low 70's when I was traipsing through the woods dealing with wind damaged limbs and fallen trees. Did not get hot and did not sweat much, nothing like my old pair of AO Safety pants. A lot less tiring to wear. They appear to be well made and I expect them to hold up well. I'm 5' 11" and the small size was about right for me.

All my guys have a pair of cloggers chainsaw trousers and a pair of clogger chaps. I wouldnt be without mine.

They have saved me from motorcycle accidents, dog attacks and more tea towel battles than i can think of. In 20 years I have yet to see what they are like against the chainsaw though.

Its great gear

I went to gocloggers website 09/08/2023 to order a set of Clogger Zero Gen2 pants in Tall with extra calf protection (which is not available at distributors) and a $25 coupon offer popped up:

Cloggers $25 Coupon _pg1-blanked.png

Filled it out, no coupon showed up (checked the SPAM folder also). There was still no coupon on 09/11 so I e-mailed them, so far no response.

On 09/12 I submitted a new, completely different e-mail address from a different computer system, no coupon.

A $25 coupon on a $500 order isn't the end of the world, but instead of them making the sale this allowed time to re-evaluate the product and choose something lower-tier that possibly works better (thanks @Philbert), so the invoice would be lower.

Meanwhile I visited the STIHL dealer to plan/order a MS 881 3/8" bar setup--their service is excellent, and since arborist pants are safety related they're "affordable"...working (non-injured) customers keep them in business, which is smart thinking on their part.

I think it's reasonable to give Clogger time to catch up on e-mails and I'll keep you posted.

Wanting to give Clogger every opportunity (and not wanting to be rash) I opened a chat session today and let them know the situation. Due to the time difference they were not at the office, however when they returned they promptly messaged with the offered discount code, backed it up with e-mail, apologized, and said they would investigate the situation. They did not offer anything additional, though I did not ask for anything additional. The code worked and an order is placed for DefenderPro Gen2 UL Pants based on @Philbert's advice for my expected usage type. (So if they ain't great I'm blaming him. 😄 )

The code worked and an order is placed for DefenderPro Gen2 based on Philbert's advice for my expected usage type. (So if they ain't great I'm blaming him.)
Philbert does not work for Clogger!

But I think that they are at the Trees & Utilities Expo In Pittsburgh through tomorrow, if you want to speak in person!

Please post your comments and observations on them, after you receive them, and have a chance to try them.

Philbert

The Clogger pants came in early (yesterday), fit and look great, and I mean great. (or my posterior looks great in them, take it for what you will...)

As a note, the protection is only in the front, the back is pretty thin, plusses and minuses with that. I'll get them out this weekend for a trial run. So far @Philbert was right...

The Clogger pants came in early (yesterday), fit and look great, and I mean great. (or my posterior looks great in them, take it for what you will...)

As a note, the protection is only in the front, the back is pretty thin, plusses and minuses with that. I'll get them out this weekend for a trial run. So far @Philbert was right...

The plusses are- you don't get so damn hot, they are lighter to wear, they breathe more easily and you are not a circus acrobat- so not likely to pole vault the saw and land on the rapidly moving chain with the back of the leg.
Minuses- well they might if you REALLY push it, trudging through slash, be slightly more prone to puncture wounds to the rear of the leg- or snakebite maybe? But the material on the back is the same wear/puncture factor as the front- so apart from the snakes I see very little to worry about in your future.
Go enjoy a pair of top quality protective trousers.

The plusses are- you don't get so damn hot, they are lighter to wear, they breathe more easily and you are not a circus acrobat- so not likely to pole vault the saw and land on the rapidly moving chain with the back of the leg.
Minuses- well they might if you REALLY push it, trudging through slash, be slightly more prone to puncture wounds to the rear of the leg- or snakebite maybe? But the material on the back is the same wear/puncture factor as the front- so apart from the snakes I see very little to worry about in your future.
Go enjoy a pair of top quality protective trousers.
I have been wearing both the Zero and Denim pants which I like, I was considering a pair of chaps for those times I do not want to or anticipate needing to wear pants all day and was debating standard zero chaps or the full calf wrap when the lightbulb went off neither of my pants are full wrap so why would I want full wrap chaps.

Thank you for flipping the light switch.

I will be utilizing my Sherril Tree 30% off coupon towards a set of Zero light chainsaw chaps.🤪

I believe that the Clogger chainsaw protective pants have protective materials up the rear calf. Mine Zeros sure feel like they do!

This is the same area protected by the ‘full wrap’ portion of full wrap chaps.

@Cloggerpro ?

Philbert
I find differing models depending on which vendor site I check, so depending on which USA vendor site one checks may not stock all the various models.

I found Zero pants in both standard and full 360 wrap lower legs, same as the chaps.

My Zero Gen2 light and cool chainsaw pants do not have the 360 wrap on the lower leg neither do the Denim.
1707799417456.png

I guess it is considered hedging your odds and percentages off chainsaw accidents.

I do not think any offer chainsaw protection for the groin or seat of the pants either. 🤪

And they still need to make a phone pocket that fits a full-size phone including a protective case.;)

Back